im making a stompbox tonight

Started by bassmasta17, November 14, 2008, 05:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 06, 2008, 06:58:25 PM
ok its done but when i turn it on i have to turn up the amp past half way for it to make any sound. Also the battery does nothing. It makes the same amount of sound with or with out. But everything is wired and soldered together right. I think it might be the voltage in the opamp. Any sugestions?

The highlighted portion implies that the sentence following it is incorrect.  The number 1 source of error is usually the human.  This is true regardless of your skill level, so don't feel bad.

Check that the battery has the + and - ends going to the right parts of the circuit, and that all the ground and power connections of the circuit go to the right places.  And read the "debugging page" (link at the top of this page).

Zben3129

If it was all done correctly it would be working  ;)

Are you using a good battery?

Do you have a DMM?

Zach

bassmasta17

WOW i wired the C3 Tatitanium or what ever its called wrong. Sounded amazing.

UNTIL the cap caught on fire and burnt into my carpet.

My dad said that you should not have a cap going straight to ground. Witch it does in this diagram.
any ways just to be curious we cut the crispy critter out of their and tryed it. Sounds just the same if not better.
My question is..
is that safe not to have a C3 on this circut?

I also looked on the C3 (before it glowed red hot) and it had no orentation marks on it to if it was polarized.
anyways it sound great!
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

frequencycentral

The cap in the Muff Fuzz doesnt go to ground. It goes from the non-inverting inputs of the opamp to the +ve battery terminal.

The circuit will work without it (as you have found), its job is to smooth out (prevent any sudden spikes/droops) the voltage divider formed by the two 680K resistors. An electrolytic is what i would use for that cap.

Yes it is safe without that cap, but good practice says have the cap.

Great that it works though!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

bassmasta17

i can see from this lay out that the cap (C3 the one that went crispy) went to ground. but in the schematic it doesn't go to ground. I will probably just box it up like it is but if anything comes up its going in. But where should it go?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

slacker

To match the schematic C3 should go in parallel with R2, that would be from b1 to e1, with the positive end at b1.

Putting a cap from V+ to ground like on the layout is to smooth the power supply voltage so if you're using a battery or a decent regulated wall wart you don't need it.

If the pedal sounds Ok then just leave it out.

bassmasta17

i will be using a battery for now. but i have a one spot 9V that i might use for it. thanks picts and maybe sound up soon.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

8mileshigh

Congrats on getting it to work !

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

bassmasta17

is it normal to have HUGH sustain in this pedal? the sustain is SO long!!!
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

oskar

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 07, 2008, 12:33:53 PM

My number one favourite component...   ::)
My dad said that you should not have a cap going straight to ground.
Your dad is wrong

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 07, 2008, 12:46:33 PM
The cap in the Muff Fuzz doesnt go to ground. It goes from the non-inverting inputs of the opamp to the +ve battery terminal.
I'm wrong

:)

Zben3129

Quote from: oskar on December 08, 2008, 08:18:31 AM

My number one favourite component...   ::)

The other day I released a very large plume of purple bad-smelling smoke...undervalued tube amp cap (BIG) went boom.

My most loved/hated component as well for that reason
Zach

8mileshigh

I't's hard to tell, I've never heard of HUGH sustain before  ;)

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 08, 2008, 06:01:57 AM
is it normal to have HUGH sustain in this pedal?
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

frequencycentral

Quote from: 8mileshigh on December 08, 2008, 05:07:07 PM
I't's hard to tell, I've never heard of HUGH sustain before  ;)

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 08, 2008, 06:01:57 AM
is it normal to have HUGH sustain in this pedal?

I was at school with Hugh's brother, Tony Sustain.

bassmasta17

ha ha i ment huge ::)
any ways is their a way to add some kind of tone pot to this? I might not add it or add something to make it a little bass heaver and less trebble. The box i put it in is very small.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

frequencycentral

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 09, 2008, 05:32:34 PM
ha ha i ment huge ::)
any ways is their a way to add some kind of tone pot to this? I might not add it or add something to make it a little bass heaver and less trebble. The box i put it in is very small.

You could add a simple treble cut just before the volume control as shown in my slightly modified schemo below. The cap could be .1 or .01 or .047 or whatever. Best to experiment first. You will lose some volume though.

bassmasta17

where does the parts go on the lugs of the pot?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

what cap would be better for making it a heaver sound? i have .1 and .01 caps.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

ok so lug 3 is on the top and i conect the cap from lug 1 to 2 and 1 to the ground?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

Zben3129

Lug 3 to cap, lugs 2 and 1 to ground.

Zach

bassmasta17

i play bass.
www.freekbass.com