News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

MXR GT-OD

Started by MikeH, November 20, 2008, 12:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeH

Just curious; anyone seen the insides of one?  I'm assuming when they say "Built from the ground up" that they're implying it's not a TS derivative, but I'd like to make that call myself.   ;D
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Jim Jones

I'm curious about this, too.  I thought the demo on youtube from Pro Guitarshop sounded pretty good!

Jim

MikeH

Well rats, I guess I'll have to buy one  ;)

Jim Jones

We all have to make sacrifices sometimes.  :)

Jim

B Tremblay

Quote from: Jim Jones on November 21, 2008, 10:52:25 AM
We all have to make sacrifices sometimes.  :)

I get a little nervous when someone with your name says things like that!   ;)
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Jim Jones

HA!  Touche!  :)

How are you Brian!?  It's been a long time since I was in this neck of the woods!

Jim

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

B Tremblay

Quote from: Jim Jones on November 21, 2008, 11:20:15 AM

How are you Brian!?  It's been a long time since I was in this neck of the woods!

Great, thanks.  It has been a long time - way back when there was chat available here!

Seems like your site's been dormant for some time.  Are you still making boards?  Still doing radio?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

MikeH

Quote from: Renegadrian on November 21, 2008, 11:35:15 AM
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=lEukVDxtWHo

tu es loco si tu vas a comprar un mxr gt... :icon_lol:

Based on this clip (Granted, it's sound from a video camera) it pretty much sounds exactly like a TS.  Funny; knowing that a ZW-44 is basically a Tube screamer at heart, with asymetrical clipping hot-rodded for a little more gain, and a dist III is basically a ZW-44 with Rat/DS-1 style clipping instead of feedback loop clipping like that of a TS, I'm guessing the GT-OD is a TS style circuit with input buffers like that of a ZW-44 or DIst III.  It wouldn't surprise me if MXR is using the same board to build all 3!

reverbie

"Ground Up" my A$$....

I bought the pedal, opened it up, and guess what was printed on the circuit board?

"ZW-44"

MikeH, your intuitions are right, although the DistIII does at least have its own circuit board design.

My tender heart bleeds for you, idiot.

MikeH

Ha ha!  That's funny.  If you've got some pics I'd like to see the guts.

Jim Jones

Quote from: B Tremblay on November 21, 2008, 12:05:10 PM
Quote from: Jim Jones on November 21, 2008, 11:20:15 AM

Great, thanks.  It has been a long time - way back when there was chat available here!

Seems like your site's been dormant for some time.  Are you still making boards?  Still doing radio?

Hey Brian,

Yep I'm still in radio - it beats diggin' a ditch.  :)

I haven't done any board stuff for a long time now.  I never bothered getting a Paypal account and everyone online seems to expect to do business that way so it just sort of petered out.  No biggie it was starting to take up a fair bit of time at one point.

I just started checking back in here and tinkering with some pedals again so that's been fun.  Rummaging through Ge transistors again for boosters and fuzzes.  :)

Jim

kupervaser

So did anyone manage to track this pedal or not? I am interested in building it.
Jeff

petemoore

"Built from the ground up"
  Far more popular than the building from an underground location.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Beros

Any news on this one?
Man ska inte ligga med lik

CynicalMan

ZW-44
http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/Mxr_ZakkWylde.gif
Dist. III
http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/Mxr_Distortion-III.gif

I own a Distortion III and I can't say I like it. There is a lack of high-end that I can't stand. I'm going to mod it soon to increase highs (and maybe add a ZW-44 mode  :icon_cool:).

petemoore

I might have +/- some particular cap or resistor, might be exactly the same - the target-box.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Beros

Nice.. But haven't anyone got a scematic for the GT-OD?

aziltz

the circuit has the same shape as the ZW-44 if they're using the same board.

Beros

Quote from: aziltz on November 17, 2009, 11:55:58 PM
the circuit has the same shape as the ZW-44 if they're using the same board.
All right..

How about caps values etc..?