Help with switching ideas..

Started by dschwartz, November 25, 2008, 08:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschwartz

Hi all..I´m designing a new version of the double shot tube preamop, but i´m stalled on this issue..
for channel switching i need 3 switches....2 of them are covered by a DPDT relay, but i need that 3rd SPST that connects the high gain to ground..

I need that switch to be driven with the relay´s control voltage..i tried jfet, but i´m not sure about it..at least in simulations, they dont completely shut the channel....using a 4053 is not possible cause of the voltage swing of the signal..it may be just 1 switch, but i´d feel wasting those 2 extra switches..

in other words..i need a simple, nice, and cheap electronically controlled switch..
help, any one?
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

petemoore

Call TI ?  Perhaps there's an elegant new switching solution they want you to try out...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Unbeliever

anti-idiot

Quote from: dschwartz on November 25, 2008, 08:09:51 AM
Hi all..I´m designing a new version of the double shot tube preamop, but i´m stalled on this issue..
for channel switching i need 3 switches....2 of them are covered by a DPDT relay, but i need that 3rd SPST that connects the high gain to ground..

I need that switch to be driven with the relay´s control voltage..i tried jfet, but i´m not sure about it..at least in simulations, they dont completely shut the channel....using a 4053 is not possible cause of the voltage swing of the signal..it may be just 1 switch, but i´d feel wasting those 2 extra switches..

in other words..i need a simple, nice, and cheap electronically controlled switch..
help, any one?

go to schematicheaven and look for:

Groove Tubes Trio Preamp (3 channel switching)
este es el que pienso usar cuando haga un preamp con 3 canales (el tercero es 'high gain')

Trace Elliot Trident (Clean/Overdrive-Ultra)
Casi todo el circuito de switching usa relays. Eliges entre limpio o saturado, y ultra ( 1/2-3). Revisa el esquematico y el manual. Jamás había visto tantos relays.

Supongo que quieres usar el circuito para la opción de "Foot Switch", verdad?
If I was God you'd sell your soul to...

dschwartz

gracias.. echare un vistazo a ver si encuentro algo similar a lo que busco..

yes, it has to work with a footswitch..
Tubes are overrated!!

sean k

I just got a box of old electronics mags and one of the articles was about making your own relays from coils around reed switches. Maybe it'll work for this as its an on/off thing. Maybe you could google reed and relay and the article will come up otherwise I'll copy it and post the page if you're interested.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

anti-idiot

Quote from: dschwartz on November 25, 2008, 12:22:46 PM
gracias.. echare un vistazo a ver si encuentro algo similar a lo que busco..

yes, it has to work with a footswitch..

déjame ver si entendí: lo que quieres hacer con tu preamp es que sea de 2 canales seleccionables y un 3er modo para los solos? Creo que los esquemas que te recomende cumpliran en cualquiera de los casos. El trident te puede servir si lo que quieres es C/O-U o si lo cableas de otro modo tendras C-O/U.
[Clean, Overdrive, Ultra).

El FS se haria con 2 SPDT (uno para elegir entre limpio y saturado, y el otro para elegir entre el canal seleccionado y el modo ultra)

El Trio de GT usa 3 MOM Sw (N.O.) y te serviría más si tu preamp fuera de 3 canales (como el TSL, cuyo switching es algo dificil para mi)

Suerte.

PS. Te escribí hace un tiempo, soy THChrist
If I was God you'd sell your soul to...

dschwartz

no no..
en ingles mejor para que todos entiendan:

For just the channel switching, i need a dpdt, but at the same time, i need an extra switch that shunts the high gain input to gropund to avoid oscilations when using the clean channel..they all have to work at the same time..

i´m leaning toward using just another relay..not cheap..but simple and effective..
Tubes are overrated!!

frank_p

I am not sure to understand the question:
You want a 3rd  switch SPST, because you don't want a "side" of dpdt that is not used and because you will use only 1/4th of the total switches?
I have a relay that is only a spst Normally Open (four leads): two for the coil and two for the switch.
7mm D. x 20 mm L. black tube.
Brand: Electronic Applications Company
Is that the kind of part you are looking for Daniel ?

dschwartz

i´m going to use 2 dpdt relays..the extra switch is going to be used for the channel pilot lights, i ussually use the relay control voltage for pilot lights, but this time i´m gonna use that extra spdt..
Tubes are overrated!!