Modding Boss CEB-3 (or CE-5)

Started by linuxius, December 16, 2008, 05:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

linuxius

Recently i bought a Boss CEB-3 and since i have been working on my ODB-3 to try to improve a though i also give the CEB-3 a try.

It is the digital version and i cannot find any schematic on the mighty web. So i opened up the box and found 4 chips. One is the digital processor, the second one i do not have a clue and there are two chips which are marked 022B from JRC.

Some browsing led me to the conclusion that these are probably TL022 op-amps and there are not know for there high quality sound. They are also used the the GE(B)-7 for the gyrators where they seem to be less important since they are not directly in the audio path. But in this case i suspect at least one of them to be in the signal path since the wet-dry signal gets mixed somewhere.

So i thought of replacing these two with Burr-Brown OPA2134 op-amps and also replace the capacitors in the signal path with high quality ones. Hoping this will reduce the noise.

So now to my questions:
- Are the 022B chips really TL022 chips?
- Can I replace them with the OPA2134 chips?
- Has anyone ever been tinkering with this pedal or the CE-5 (they seem to be roughly the same)?
- Any tips/ideas?

Thanks very much for your help.