good cheap as possible workbench amps

Started by sjaltenb, December 17, 2008, 04:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

hey,

so, whats a good tiny little amp to have on your workbench? I dont want to blow up my tube amp when i accidently disconnect a ground etc etc. I just need something where I can test an effect, but good enough to where I can realize if something is noisy, etc.

Thanks! really looking only to spend like 20-30 bucks used preferably...

Zben3129

Why don't you just build a little gem / ruby?

Zach

sjaltenb

ohhh so do those just output to like an RCA for a stereo?

mth5044

Quote from: sjaltenb on December 17, 2008, 05:14:46 PM
ohhh so do those just output to like an RCA for a stereo?

IIRC they can output to 1/4 jack or 1/8 for headphones. I doubt there would be a problem just putting an RCA jack in, but i dont know.

sjaltenb

ahh ya i read more, headphones would work just fine.

Is there one preferred over the other? I dont need any gain or anything like that. just something to test pedals. thanks.

idlechatterbox

One of the Gems I built has an RCA. I use it when I travel, because it lets me play my guitar through the digital TVs (audio in jack) in hotel rooms. Another jack, a 1/8 mini-plug, let's me connect to the clock-radios that have an "iPod" input.   :icon_biggrin:

Ripthorn

Quote from: idlechatterbox on December 17, 2008, 08:58:04 PM
One of the Gems I built has an RCA. I use it when I travel, because it lets me play my guitar through the digital TVs (audio in jack) in hotel rooms. Another jack, a 1/8 mini-plug, let's me connect to the clock-radios that have an "iPod" input.   :icon_biggrin:

Sounds to me like someone is a little addicted to playing the guitar... :D
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

sjaltenb

is an RCA jack the same as a 1/4, just a regular 2 conductor, or do you have to add soemthing to it?

can you do headphone and rca? maybe with a switch?

mth5044

yes an RCA has a 'tip' and a 'sleeve'. Like this

You can see the two lugs.

I don't think there would be a problem with a switchable one. You could probably even have it without a switch, but I'm not sure, someone else will have to chime in.

kurtlives

Quote from: sjaltenb on December 17, 2008, 04:56:07 PM
hey,

so, whats a good tiny little amp to have on your workbench? I dont want to blow up my tube amp when i accidently disconnect a ground etc etc. I just need something where I can test an effect, but good enough to where I can realize if something is noisy, etc.

Thanks! really looking only to spend like 20-30 bucks used preferably...
Won't ever happen :)
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

sjaltenb

hehe, i should have been more clear. Blow up my ears ;D And piss off my neighbors.

The worst is when I dont realize i have the d-two delay  turned on and i get

BZZZZZZZZZZZZ bzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzz...

you get it... plus i travel alot.

anyway, thanks guys!!

PerroGrande

I added a simple JFET follower in front of the input to a cheap-o set of PC speakers.  Normally, these things have a fairly low input impedance, thus the follower.

In an unrelated project, I stuffed an orange squeezer into a set of PC speakers and use it with my television -- thus avoiding the soft show/loud commercial syndrome.

Ronsonic

Let me strongly suggest not using headphones for debugging, experimenting, modding or bending. Your ears cannot be repaired.

I've got a Randall RG30 that lives under my bench. It sounds good, is reliable and the price was right.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

kurtlives

Quote from: Ronsonic on December 17, 2008, 11:43:00 PM

Let me strongly suggest not using headphones for debugging, experimenting, modding or bending. Your ears cannot be repaired.

I've got a Randall RG30 that lives under my bench. It sounds good, is reliable and the price was right.
+1

I also got a RG75 for testing.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

newfish

I use one of those Marshall MS2-C things.

Doesn't pump out more than a couple of watts, and doesn't take up much room on the bench.

Also has a headphone socket for when you're 'tweaking' late at night.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

drewl

I seem to have a whole bunch of little 10-15w practice amps people give me or throw in the trash.
Peaveys, Fenders, they're not worth anything for repairing and usually just need solder joints reflowed.
So try small local music stores or pawn shops they probably have a bunch of little practice amps.

I leave one everywhere I hang out, one at work, one in each room of the house, my family's houses, freinds houses....that way there's an amp everywhere I go!

bumblebee

Make the cricket amp and buy a 12inch speaker and make it all into a little box??!?!?!

I uses a 30watt zoom modeling amp for testing and when i actually want to hear what the effects sound like for real i plug them into my twin reverb. Using the zoom is just a precautionary measure.

rnfr

i use a little tube amp i got on ebay for less than 100$.  it's by Voice of Music- has a 12ax7, a 6v6,  and a rec tube. i pair that up with a little cab with a ten in it.  sounds great.  i can overdrive the pre if i want for boosters, and it's loud enough to hear what they sound like at volume, but it's really tiny and i put my toolbox on top of the cab.  i think it was made for a mono turntable.

it's probably your best "cheap as possible" tube amp.

idiot savant

Ronsonic

Hey, rnfr, check your 12AX7s in the VoM. Every piece of theirs I've ever seen came with rebranded Mullards.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info