Advice For a Beginner

Started by Kearns892, December 17, 2008, 06:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kearns892

Hello, I'm new to DIY guitar effects in general and I need some advice. I plan on purchasing a breadboard and building a Prototyping board (similar to the one here http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/GEPB.htm) so I can begin to teach myself how to read schematics and build simple circuits with out having to invest in casing, switches, jacks and the like simply to learn the basics. So here are my questions:

Has anyone built anything like this and do they have any advice or suggestions?
If I buy two bread boards, one with a power bus and one with out can I use the power bus on one to give power to both?
What types, values and amounts of components should I buy to get through some basic builds? (this is the one I really need help on)
And I would greatly appreciate any other sage advice from an experienced builder.
Thanks

brett

Looks like that link is dead.

As far as components are concerned, it is best to check out a particular project, and buy as necessary.  You'll only have the necessary components on hand if you become a dedicated builder of effects (ie there are dozens to hundreds of potential components to purchase).  For example, compare the components necessary for a fuzzface buld as against a big muff as against an A/B/Y splitter box.

have fun!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Radamus

I only began making pedals a little while ago, but I've got a couple complete projects under my belt. By the looks of it, making that type of board would be more difficult than a lot of builds. I think that you want to learn the basics and how everything effects everything else, and I do not believe such a board is necessary. I would recommend doing a lot of reading and buying a kit from General Guitar Gadgets or a similar place and then get started. You're not going to customize your first pedal to your every specification. The other recommendation I have is building an audio probe, which is basically half of a guitar cable with the ground wire soldered to an alligator clip and the signal wire soldered to a capacitor (like .1uF). This will allow you to hear every part of the circuit by probing around with the capacitor end, which is highly educational. Also, just asking people on this board to walk you through the circuit (the signal path) can be very helpful. That's what I did. I'm not a fan of bread boarding, personally, but that doesn't mean you won't like it a lot. I'd probably be better at electronics if I took the time to breadboard before soldering. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful for the rig you want to build here, but I hope you could get some help from the rest of what I've said.
Good Luck
Conrad

Kearns892

Thanks for the tips. As far as parts, I guess I'm wondering what parts I should get to make some simple boosts, overdrives, distortions etc. and common values for the components used in them. I'm fairly confident in my ability to build a protoboard, especially if someone is willing to give me a few pointers who has made one before, and I don't plan on making mine as complex as the one in the link (which worked for me, I don't know why the link was dead for you). I must also say, I don't think my confidence is ill founded, while I've never worked with guitar pedals before, I've done some amp tinkering, and just finished completely rewiring an old strat, so I have some general knowledge but very little about circuit boards, what I hope to learn from bread boarding. 
Thanks for the idea with the probe I'll have to try that out.
Also I guess I will need a cheap/ DIY amp to test these on. What are the risks of running a faulty pedal through a tube amp (worst case scenario)?

Radamus

Quote from: Kearns892 on December 17, 2008, 07:58:26 PM
Also I guess I will need a cheap/ DIY amp to test these on. What are the risks of running a faulty pedal through a tube amp (worst case scenario)?
In my experience, some nasty oscillation and some loud screeching. Granted, I don't have tubes, but I think if you keep the volume down, you should be safe. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me. I typically use a practice amp for the testing, but they sometimes act up and give me some crazy sounds on the better amp.

As for parts, lots of people ask what they can do to fill out the parts bin. If you search for the words "parts bin" you should find something. Another recommendation that I like is this: find ten builds you want to make. Get some simple and some complex. Make a parts list, double check it, and order from a store. I like futurlec because they sell potentiometers for 50 cents. That way, you'll have plenty of builds to keep you busy and probably some leftover parts. A lot of pedals of similar types use similar parts, just be sure to order extra pots.

The search function will yield many topics like this, including the one I posted about a year ago. People have made lots of parts lists and recommendations.

sickbend

woohoo I can contribute something. Here are two charts of most common parts in stompboxes based on some 100+ guitar effects schematics. I wish I remember where I found this so I could credit them but I don't :(

dano12

Regarding an intro to schematics and breadboarding:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/SchematicToReality/

Building your own prototyping board and how to hook it up:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/docs/HackersGuideToTheBeavisBoard.pdf

And a whole bunch of downloadable breadboard projects for you to try:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/projects/

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

bassmasta17

be pacent. Dont start until you have enough parts. Go buy some 4558 IC's. ;D
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

Kearns892

Thanks guys, Keep this coming, its gold to me.

jacobyjd

Some things that worked for me, in the form of a short list...I like lists:

1. Buy grab-bags of parts when you can--someone above mentioned Futurlec--they have some nice grab bags for ICs, resistors, caps, etc--all at good prices. You'll also find that Small Bear and the forum store have some things that other suppliers won't. I go with them for the specialty stuff.

2. Look at what you want on your pedalboard and build pedals to fill your needs. After that, do some exploration.

3. Start out using enclosures that are larger than you actually need, unless you already have experience with drilling and stuffing small enclosures already. More space for the first few builds will give you a better idea of how all your off-board components fit.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Kearns892

I also know from my experience with guitar mods that certain knobs match certain pot shafts, how do I tell which knobs will fit solid or split if its not stated directly.

jacobyjd

Quote from: Kearns892 on December 18, 2008, 04:33:21 PM
I also know from my experience with guitar mods that certain knobs match certain pot shafts, how do I tell which knobs will fit solid or split if its not stated directly.

+1

I've wondered this for awhile now :)

I generally make sure knobs specify 'set screw' if I'm using smooth-shaft pots. If you really can't figure it out after searching this forum, and you don't receive any response from the supplier, you can always post to see if someone's used them before, and what their specs are.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

bassmasta17

Quote from: jacobyjd on December 18, 2008, 04:30:31 PM
3. Start out using enclosures that are larger than you actually need ... More space for the first few builds will give you a better idea of how all your off-board components fit.

possibly the greatest advice on this page. I have broken way to many soldiers (or suck at it) trying to fit a PCB, 2 pots, 2 jacks, 2 switches, and LED in a 3"x1" box. Some times you don't know the soldiers are broken and fine out the hard way.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bumblebee

Start familiarizing yourself with all the component terms so you can order your parts from mouser and smallbear, you will save money and wont be limited to kits.

ParlorCitySound

I'm sure Dano is up to his ears in orders but, the beavis board is the way to go. An all inclusive kit with nearly every part used in common projects, tons of crucial information and above all, delicious candy. ;) Sorry for the shamless plug, but I am a very satisfied customer.

-Kevin

Kearns892

A Beavis Board would be really nice, but that's probably out of my price range for right now, thanks though.

Kearns892

Ok, here's another thing I've been wondering, is there any difference in sound / function between  pot sizes (i.e. 16mm pot and 24mm)?

Kearns892

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 18, 2008, 03:36:13 PM
be pacent. Dont start until you have enough parts. Go buy some 4558 IC's. ;D
Where do you suggest I buy these, I searched 4558 on small bear and nothing came up.

Radamus

A 4558, as far as I remember (I think I've used one) is an opamp or other type of amplifier, so search under IC's or opamps. Futurlec is really easy to search (www.futurlec.com). Also, try google. With a lot of IC's, like TL074, there are enough letters and numbers that it really can't be anything else in the search.
Quote from: Kearns892 on December 18, 2008, 07:16:58 PM
Ok, here's another thing I've been wondering, is there any difference in sound / function between  pot sizes (i.e. 16mm pot and 24mm)?
Probably not. It's all resistive material.

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Kearns892 on December 18, 2008, 07:16:58 PM

For audio frequencies, there's no difference.  For much higher frequencies (radio and higher) component size and layout make a big difference due to radiated noise, capacitance and inductance of components, and other reasons.  Because of this you might find some info on the web somewhere that says to only use a certain size or shape of part, but for stompboxes and audio in general it's nothing to worry about.