I just bought a recording mic, I need opinions

Started by tehfunk, December 29, 2008, 01:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captainobvious99

If you're happy with it, thats great! Is this only for cabinet mic'ing?
If it were me, I would go with an Audio Technica AT2020 (condensor) mic. Great for vocals, acoustic, and studio recording.

I also own an SM57 and liek that as well, but for recording, the best I've used was an AKG C3000B condensor. Awesome mic for the $$.

tehfunk

Quote from: Captainobvious99 on December 30, 2008, 10:14:01 PM
If you're happy with it, thats great! Is this only for cabinet mic'ing?
If it were me, I would go with an Audio Technica AT2020 (condensor) mic. Great for vocals, acoustic, and studio recording.

I also own an SM57 and liek that as well, but for recording, the best I've used was an AKG C3000B condensor. Awesome mic for the $$.
Sorry I didn't respond for a few days, I think I found a great spot in terms of the mic replicating the sound I actually hear. A little less than 1 and a half inches from the grille cloth, the center of the mic face (because its flat) level with the center of the speaker (height wise) and a little bit off to the side, of the dome thingy, so basically the center of the mic face pointing at the connection between the cone and the dome. It replicates the sound I hear pretty damn well without any eq-ing. I haven't tried eq-ing at all because I am just trying to see the mics capability by itself. To answer the question, it's really just for guitar amp mic'ing. By the way, that website with all those mic comparisons, I thought very much misrepresented the e609, I felt like that must have been mic placement because I got that sound when I place way off to the side on a stand. For compressors and limiters, how should I be using them, the recording program I have has them on the computer, but do you mean one that is external like actually plugs into the cables? Also, I just wanted to make sure, the kind of compressors and limiters you are referring to are for use specifically with mics and recording not the kind we use on guitars and the instruments themselves right? I don't have a mic pre amp, I wasn't planning on getting one just because I am not getting a recording studio going here I am really just a hobbyist. Again, thanks for the help.

Edit: I forgot to add, so my 2 day period expired, I was finishing college apps, but after it expired, or the night of, I discovered this "sweet spot" so I think I am pretty happy with the e609, I will keep trying it out, and eventually put some effects sound samples up using it.
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

petemoore

any other input?
  I've tried many mics, many good mics.  Most mics do what I want them to.
  I'm convinced you've picked a good one, is this your first microphone ?
  Trying out different mics while viewing the specifications sheet charts is a good way to familiarize with what the sheets mean, how much that has to do with the tone [mics are like speakers tone-wise IME]..
  This sounds like a 'better' choice mic, in the vocal and guitar range [even bass] most of these offer great performance, a new one is nice to have around !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sickbend

teh funk no worries when i hear "for recording" i go off in this home recording bbs/recording.org/gearsluts mode my bad. The mic preamp is what your using to get the signal of the guitar amp to recorded media a computer im guessing. Someway the mic signal is amplified that's the mic pre amp limiters and compressors as stated have to do with getting that "huge miced guitar amp sound" which everyone wants in there "recordings" the technique is used before recording the signal a physical limiter is set so the signal is hit harder going into the computer a louder cleaner signal to work with is best for this era of over compressed radio ready demos for general amplification and youtube video demo mess none of this matters

Captainobvious99

Good stuff. I'm glad you found a good positioning spot for it to give you the recording sound you were looking for.
What I was refering to earlier are different effect plug-ins that some recording software offers.

Once you get something recorded, give us a clip to see how its sounding  ;)

tehfunk

Quote from: sickbend on January 02, 2009, 05:19:21 PM
teh funk no worries when i hear "for recording" i go off in this home recording bbs/recording.org/gearsluts mode my bad. The mic preamp is what your using to get the signal of the guitar amp to recorded media a computer im guessing. Someway the mic signal is amplified that's the mic pre amp limiters and compressors as stated have to do with getting that "huge miced guitar amp sound" which everyone wants in there "recordings" the technique is used before recording the signal a physical limiter is set so the signal is hit harder going into the computer a louder cleaner signal to work with is best for this era of over compressed radio ready demos for general amplification and youtube video demo mess none of this matters
okay, i get it, i might inquire later as to how to get that "huge miced guitar amp sound" lol.

Quote from: Captainobvious99 on January 02, 2009, 07:17:01 PM
Good stuff. I'm glad you found a good positioning spot for it to give you the recording sound you were looking for.
What I was refering to earlier are different effect plug-ins that some recording software offers.

Once you get something recorded, give us a clip to see how its sounding  ;)
thank you, i sure will.
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

solderman

Quote from: tehfunk on December 29, 2008, 01:39:50 AM
Okay, I just dropped 100 bucks on a sennheiser e609, opted for it over the shure sm57, so I have two days to return if I it isn't what I want. Well, I am not sure, I think I like it, but I am new to this stuff. So, I made 2 sound clips of me doing my thang on the guitar (sucking). One is clean, and one id distorted. Tell me what you think. I know it's not a stomp box, but I plan on using a mic to record samples of the pedals I make or have, and I need prompt answers. Thanks! Note: the soundclips take a minute or two to download, I didn't realize how large the files were, but there both around 1 minute 30 to 2 minutes so not that long, I was just trying to show the range of sounds and how the mic responded.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/tehfunk/soundclips/e609+clean.wav.html

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/tehfunk/soundclips/e609+crunch.wav.html
Edit: my recording setup is the mic, into a small mixer, into an m-audio recording sound card.

Hi Sam.

I think you should "loan" both the e609 and the SM57 AND a cheapo clone to compair the sound. I bought a SM57 clone called DM57 made in China and compaired with a SM57 from a friend of mine. With the rest of the stuff I use for recording ( Alto S6 mixer and then recorded directly with Cubase SX and a M-audia Delta 192 Sound Card) I couldn't hear any differens. The price for the DM57 was $85 less than the DM57 so the choice was easy. So if you don't have a hi quality line all trough the sound path a good cheap clone is a money saver. better used on stuff for new effect boxes I think.  ;D.

The high end is quite easy to record it´s harder to get a good deep and punchy bass.

below is a pic of the mick and a crappy soundsample (more on my site) with a strat--Orange Tiny Terror amp on low gain trough a 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30--DM57 mick--Mixer--Soundcard. The sound is in MP3 so Its a not comparable with a wav file.

http://solderman.fatabur.se/Basic%20Sound/clean_sc.mp3

\\ Solderman 

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)