Power supply question

Started by WLTerry, December 29, 2008, 05:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLTerry

Hi. I'm designing a custom power supply to a professional bass player. He needs five 9V outputs at 80mA max, one 9V output at 120mA, one 15V out and one 18V out. The design is based on the Spyder power supply from RG's site, each output uses IC regulators. The power supply uses two custom transformers and to keep the smaller size of the transformers as possible, the overall design would be like this:

According with the guy who gonna make the transformers, those specs allows to keep both transformers smallest as possible. If I use one transformer, this would be very large, that's the reason to use those 2 transformers.

My question is: Using 2 transformers will cause problems of unwanted noise or any other problem?

Thanks in advance
Will

sjaltenb

Hello,

From what I have heard I dont THINK it should cause any problems. I am doing somethign simliar in my multiFX box, splitting it into two transformers. I am using one transformer for audio and the other for utility stuff, (fans, LEDs).

My first transformer is HUGE, much like yours it has about 15 ouptuts most around 100ma, but it is very large and would be impractical if my box were not so large. I would assume that because you are housing these in an enclosure seperate from everything else it wouldnt matter at all. I mean, the Spyder uses 8, or even more, seperate transformers.

But I am new to power supply stuff too so you may want to wait on other advice!

WLTerry

Yeah, I think so too. Since all the circuitry is enclosed in a separate metal box, it wouldn't cause any problem to other stuff. It's true that a big transformer would be impractical... I mean, big like the one Ted Weber sells, like 11 outputs in one huge transformer. The arrangement I design will be the small size as possible.

Thanks so much for your opinion.
Will