TS808 first attempt

Started by lazerphea, December 30, 2008, 02:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerroGrande

Hey Lazer,

Just for kicks, try changing R7 from 51K down to 4K7 or 3K3 and see what that does...

lazerphea

Quote from: ayayay! on December 30, 2008, 04:14:44 PM
Hmm okay so we're getting somewhere.  I don't know where but we're getting there...

Are the diodes facing in opposite directions as in the schem? 
Uhm... I just arranged them so that they are one the opposite the other... does the orientation matters??? ???

lazerphea

Quote from: PerroGrande on December 30, 2008, 04:27:27 PM
Hey Lazer,

Just for kicks, try changing R7 from 51K down to 4K7 or 3K3 and see what that does...
Ok, I try it now!

lazerphea

lazerphea

Quote from: PerroGrande on December 30, 2008, 04:27:27 PM
Hey Lazer,

Nothing happens! :\

PerroGrande

When you say nothing happens -- does that mean nothing changed and the pedal is still effectively "clean", or that you don't have any sound at all?

lazerphea

Quote from: PerroGrande on December 30, 2008, 04:37:25 PM
When you say nothing happens -- does that mean nothing changed and the pedal is still effectively "clean", or that you don't have any sound at all?
The pedal is still clean....

PerroGrande

Okay --

If R6 (4K7) is not connected to either Vref or to ground, the pedal will do what you're experiencing.  You can build the screamer either way (the capacitor in series with the resistor allows this).  Some of RG's excellent articles show R6 connected to ground, while others show Vref.  Either is okay -- just as long as it is connected!

Bensnap

Make sure none of your components/leads are touching. I have C4 and R7 close to each other on the bead board and some times they touch and that makes it go clean.
"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs"-Jack Handy

ayayay!

QuoteUhm... I just arranged them so that they are one the opposite the other... does the orientation matters???

Yes, very much so. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

lazerphea

Quote from: ayayay! on December 30, 2008, 05:05:16 PM
QuoteUhm... I just arranged them so that they are one the opposite the other... does the orientation matters???

Yes, very much so. 
Ok, I inverted them but nothing happens... I get always the same clean sound...

Zben3129

The higher the resistance, the more gain you will get. So raising the 51k to 500k or 1m might make a difference, rather than to 4k7.

Zach

lazerphea

Quote from: Zben3129 on December 30, 2008, 05:19:16 PM
The higher the resistance, the more gain you will get. So raising the 51k to 500k or 1m might make a difference, rather than to 4k7.

Zach
Tried with 1M resistor but nothing changes.

lazerphea

Guys, I go to bed now... I'm wasted and I'll continue my work tomorrow morning... for now thanks a lot for the support!!! :)

PerroGrande

It is never a bad idea to take a break when things aren't going as planned.  I've solved any number of "insurmountable" problems after some quality sleep.   ;D

George Giblet

> How can I say if C4 is shorted?

Measure the resistance across the cap.  Anything less than an ohm is usually a short.

> put the black lead of my meter on pin 1 and the red one on pin 2 of the IC; what I read is:
3.25 Ohm if the 500K pot is in 500K position
2.99 Ohm if the 500K pot is in 0K position

Actually you have already got the measurement here.  The resistance seems awefully low.   The 51k pretty much eliminates the pot's effect  from these measurements and the diodes don't usually show such a small reading (I'm assuming you are using a digital meter?).

Look on the back of the board.  Make sure there are no solder bridges across pins 1 and 2 of the IC or across C4.

lazerphea

Ok guys,
It took me 2 hours or so, but here's my breadboard layout:

I know it's a disturbing mess, but I tried to use different wires' colors for clarity. I'm pretty sure I messed up something in the opamp's feedback loop...

arma61

Ciao

for the sake of clearness which transistors are you using ?

Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

lazerphea

Quote from: arma61 on December 31, 2008, 07:26:57 AM
Ciao

for the sake of clearness which transistors are you using ?

Armando
Ciao Armando,
I'm using the 2SC1815, though I read "C18156R" on them.. :)

oskar

R6 is going to the bus you call Vc.
Are you sure the bus is connected all the way? You may have to bridge it halfway. Have you secured continuity?