Anyone have a bass cab simulator?

Started by Ripthorn, January 03, 2009, 07:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripthorn

Hi, I am interested in a cab simulator for my bass.  I have seen the guitar ones, but would like one that is geared more towards bass (perhaps of a 1x15 or maybe the classic Ampeg 8x10).  Has anyone seen one of these?  I tried searching, but have found nothing.  How does one go about designing one?
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

jonjon

john

CLAAS

Hej
Daniel did one.
Look at "dschwartz".

George Giblet

This one supposed to emulate an Ampeg but I have my doubts,

http://www.geocities.com/george_giblet/effects/bd21_lite_v10.png

If you knock-out U2:A, U2:B and the bottom part of the circuit  you end-up with the speaker-sim filters.

The network around R3 produces a very pronounced notch in the mid frequencies.  You might be better off removing that part of the circuit, keeping C4 and R4.  You can tweak the bass response with C4  - the 22n should be OK but you could make it as small as 15n.

Ripthorn

I looked at the dschwartz one, but it was made to roughly simulate a Celestion Vintage 30.  I am hoping for something a little more tailored to bass.  Maybe I will just have to modify the ROG Condor (We can call it the Big Bird or something like that :icon_biggrin:).
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

edvard

I've been looking around and it seems bass cab sims are available, but not as diy schems.
However, it seems that anybody who knows a bit of smoke about filters should be able to take a standard frequency response plot and work up something from there.
Most guitar cab sims I've seen go something like 1st or 2nd order high-pass to low-Q notch filter to 3nd or 4th-order low-pass, or maybe a 2nd-order Chebyshev on the low-pass to liven things up.
Looking at Daniel's circuit, the condor and even the Marshall circuit and what they are doing I bet we can hack something out...

Anybody know where to get FR plots for an SVT cab? Peavey Black Widow? Hartke? Generic 2x12?
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

FiveseveN

I've always thought that electric bass applications are more akin to HI-FI systems in that one tries to obtain a linear response in frequency and dynamics (except separate compression which seems to be used a lot on bass).
That is to say guitarists love distorted, saggy amplifiers and "colored" cabs while basists go for fast, clean amps and "full" cabs. Of course this is a gross generalization from my rather limited personal experience: there are plenty bassists who use distorted tones, from "crunchy" to all-out fuzz but you don't hear them often on the radio.
That being said, in a video I saw an Ampeg spokesperson stated that the "signature sound" of the SVT actually comes from the stamped speaker baskets which are rather "bouncy" and attenuate quick peaks (transients).
My point is that if you're looking for a particular bass sound, a cab's inherent filtering might not be as great a factor as it is on a saturated guitar amp.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

StephenGiles

I'm sure that Trace Elliott included this on one of their bass preamps
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".