8mm and 10mm LEDs

Started by smallbearelec, January 15, 2009, 07:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

A commercial customer said he had started using these and asked me for metal bezels. One of my sources has offered these:

They will be available in black or chrome and I will be getting samples. Some marketing questions:

--Have many of you started using larger LEDs? Would they be a good addition to the SBE Stock List?
--I would have to order 5,000 minimum of those bezels. Price in small lots would be $1.00 to $1.15 each. Would there be reasonable usage?

As always, your feedback rules!

Regards
SD

Nitefly182

If you stock the LEDs too that would be great. Right now the only place I know to get a 10mm LED is radio shack. Those bezels look cool but if they make one of the simpler plastic collar type those would be cool too. Once you add that big bezel and nut inside the LED assembly will be a lot bigger I think. I definitely think you should stock them though.

Ben N

Once I start putting 10mm LEDs in my stompboxes I might as well as a steering wheel and drive them at night. They might be great for other things, though, like a lighted magnifier.
  • SUPPORTER

Nitefly182

Quote from: Ben N on January 15, 2009, 12:49:42 PM
Once I start putting 10mm LEDs in my stompboxes I might as well as a steering wheel and drive them at night. They might be great for other things, though, like a lighted magnifier.

Theyre kind of cool if you have a pedal with big knobs and stuff because they look like big glowing eyes or globes. Like this:

Ben N

That is cool. Two of them might really freak people out.  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER

blanik

the interesting is how much they drain power? can you get a decent glow with a resistor value that can save some battery power? (10k-20k)

Nitefly182

Quote from: blanik on January 15, 2009, 10:42:41 PM
the interesting is how much they drain power? can you get a decent glow with a resistor value that can save some battery power? (10k-20k)

If you plan to use batteries I wouldn't use any superbright LED. These would be better off in a pedal that uses a DC jack.

xshredx

I use 10 mm leds. Until some time ago I could only find plastic bezels for them... Banzai recently added metal 10mm bezels, but chrome plated...    black ones would totally be a reason for another smallbear order...   :-)
(There is some stuff that only you have, this would be another reason for me... but I don't know how representative I am... I could not imagine that you have to do such a large order...)

Sir_Ian

If you stocked them.....I might try them out.....but its not something that I'm dieing to have and there's a fairly good chance I would never buy them.

Then again...I don't buy and I don't build nearly as much as some people on this forum. But I just thought it was kind of unfair for you to only hear "yes I want them." I'm guessing that most people who really aren't interested in them are probably going to be too lazy (like I almost was) to post anything.

By the way, you run a nice business, and last time I ordered from you, you were very helpful. Thanks.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.