General wiring questions

Started by Heemis, January 17, 2009, 03:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heemis

So I've been building pedals pretty consistently for about the last year and a half or so, and the wire I've been using is #24 pre-bond from small bear.  The wire is easy to handle and routes well, but all the wiring I do ends up looking really crummy.

So I wanted to try some other kinds of wire, and I was wondering what everyone here uses, and why?

And while I'm on the subject, another question.  Do you typically wire off-board components before populating the enclosure, or do you wire them after they've been put into the enclosure?

Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

bumblebee

I use solid core wire or whatever its called, its just one solid strand, it routes easy,bends to what shape you want it to and most importantly I have a few thousand feet of it I scored at a surplus store for almost nothing.
I always wire once its all stuffed in the box, I use tweezers sometimes to make it easier, takes practice but its not hard.

Andi

I use 7/0.2 which I believe is the equivalent of 2AWG stranded. I tuck it under PCBs, around switches, jack sockets and such and apply cable ties as appropriate. Beyond that I don't worry too much. Neat is nice but as long as it sounds right and there's easy access to the battery it really doesn't matter much.

svstee

I use solid core pushback cloth wire, because I am lazy I don't want to strip wires.
Sometimes I'll use rainbow ribbon wire

if I feel like making it look real neat.

Heemis

Ok, so I'm leaning toward some solid core for my next wire purchase... anyone else want to chime in?  These posts are very helpful to me.

frequencycentral

Quote from: svstee on January 17, 2009, 06:11:21 PM
I use solid core pushback cloth wire, because I am lazy I don't want to strip wires.
Sometimes I'll use rainbow ribbon wire

if I feel like making it look real neat.

I love that stuff.......

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

yeeshkul

what tool do you use to make the dents to fix the board on the case? Brilliant! It overall looks excellent man!

Heemis

Wow... that is some next level wiring... Amazing!

frequencycentral

Quote from: yeeshkul on January 18, 2009, 03:09:33 PM
what tool do you use to make the dents to fix the board on the case? Brilliant! It overall looks excellent man!

Thanks. I just use a file to make the slots for the board - and some paitience.

Quote from: Heemis on January 18, 2009, 03:10:34 PM
Wow... that is some next level wiring... Amazing!

Thank you!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!