Did I just destroy my Bluesbreaker?

Started by phintze, January 30, 2009, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phintze

I finished wiring up my GGG Bluesbreaker this afternoon. When I was ready to test it out, I realized that I didn't have any 9V batteries, so I grabbed a power supply from my "box o' cables." Unfortunately, I grabbed the wrong one - it was center positive. It was probably plugged in for about 15 seconds before I realized my mistake.

I tried it later with batteries. I switched it on and the LED flashed once and went out. Did I fry something? A diode, maybe? How do I check that?

railhead

phintze

Nothing. I'm currently checking for continuity. The bypass checks out with a meter, but no signal is passing through.

railhead

Do you have an audio probe by any chance?

kurtlives

Op-amps can die pretty quick...

Try a quick op-amp swap, I find that usually works.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

phintze

I don't have an audio probe.

I'll try an opamp swap and see if that works.

phintze

Actually, the bypass doesn't check out with the meter. I think that the switch may be bad - it was an old one that I had lying around. I can't test another one out, since my order of 3PDT switches is still in the mail.  :-\

I could hardwire it to see if the circuit works, but I don't feel like doing that right now. I'll probably mess with it again tomorrow.

railhead

Well, it worked well enough to flare the LED, so something happened. You could apply power to the LED (with resistance) from a battery and see if you get anything, then you'll know whether or not the LED burned out. If the LED works, you prob fried the OA -- the diodes should be fine.

petemoore

Test the reverse polarity protection diode, maybe it did it's job and fried.
  Basically or not, debugging is a square one deal.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sevenisthenumber

As stated, check the 1n4002 diode directly below the 9v in on the pc. Maybe it did it's job....

tehfunk

Quote from: railhead on January 30, 2009, 10:19:00 PM
Do you have an audio probe by any chance?
I am sorry but I have to suggest this, you might need it in the future and it will be very useful... it's also cool to hear how the circuit modulates your original sound as you follow along.
http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/DIY-AudioTester.pdf
I just built it two days ago it's great. If you have heat shrink that's useful to cover the wire connections to the capacitor.  Btw, credits to Mr. Marossy for that great file.
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante