Books for DIY projects and Info. ?

Started by zane, February 01, 2009, 08:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zane

I have bought Craig Andertons "Projects for Guitarists" and am wondering if anyone can recommend some more  books of the same type.

I would like to learn about what makes circuits work and also have some useful projects to try out.

I know there is a lot of info on the internet, but I would like something I can read without getting on the computer.

guilds100

I have Advanced diy effects pedals by Brian Wampler, Indyguitarist and I've learned alot from it. The are examples of many circuits with a break down of what the components are doing in the circuit and how changing there values will effect the circuit. I think you ll get what your looking for in this book.

Cliff Schecht

Find yourself a 555-timer applications handbook, they're great for learning electronics (including things like RC constants, oscillators, wave shaping and digital logic). Also, if you're interested, anything by Paul Horowitz is very informative and easy to read. A copy of "The Art of Electronics" is almost necessary for anybody trying to learn design and anything by Bob Pease will be good as well. If you want to branch out into other interesting fields, an ARRL handbook (the ham radio bible) is chock full of great circuits and does a good job of breaking everything down into "human" terms.

Also, not to shamelessly push any products that we sell, but every kit that PAiA sells (8)) comes with a very long and always understandable explanation of how the circuit you just built is working (in the back of the manual, next to the schematic, written by John Simonton!). I've learned a lot about electronics by studying Simonton's designs, including some very useful tricks and sometimes, what NOT to do in a design!

Mark Hammer

Ditto on the PAiA projects.  A pity that the number of guitar-related kits from them has declined over the years.

Robert Penfold has some books with some good stuff in them.  And you can look at the scanned issues of DEVICE at my site: http://hammer.ampage.org and the scanned copies of STOMPBOXOLOGY at Charlie Barth's site: http://moosapotamus.net/IDEAS/stompboxology/stompboxology.html

And, as always, check out Tonepad, Generalguitargadgets, geofex and AMZ.

Cliff Schecht

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 01, 2009, 05:01:41 PM
Ditto on the PAiA projects.  A pity that the number of guitar-related kits from them has declined over the years.

I'm sure that within the next few years we'll be able to add some more guitar-related products to the line-up. I like them myself, they're always very usable for the price (if not downright awesome!).