phase90 with mod, now with problem

Started by guitarman89, February 05, 2009, 05:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarman89

I built a tonepad phase90 last year, with depth mod, rate led mod and script/block switch. It sounds perfect. I use on it bf245c matched (with geofx jfet matcher) for the fets section, 2n3906 for the mixing stage and tl082 instead tl062. I don't remember what kind of zener i put in it. It sounded amazing and it's one of my preferred!But one day it stopped to phase.
When I was opening the box i felt that smell of fried: in fact there was the zener in two pieces. I use now a BZY790 6v (it can be other because the script is gone away) and there is the oscillation.
Just moving the depth pot (1Mohm) in some section of the range i can hear a very very weak phased signal mixed with clean one. I've checked the four FETs and they are still matched. Can you help me???
This pedal is so important to me because I like it very very very much!! It is the only stompbox with some decoration...EVH Stripes (a sort of)

Thanks in advance
built: MXR Dist+,dod250-280,dr boogey,IC buffers,cmos drive,multiface,20W SS pwr amps,phase90,tubescreamer,rat,amzMB,wuly mammoth,dod280,zombie chorus
under constur:60W 3886 amp,jcm800 em
www.myspace.com/guitarmanbll
www.myspace.com/filospinatopunk

Slade

Sorry, buddy, I just wanted to ask how did you put the speed indicator led?
Thanks and success with your phaser ;)

shadowmaster

Experiment with the zener diode values. In the initial tests on my unit, I used a 5.1V zener diode with matched 2N5458 fets and I was only able to hear a very weak phasing after minutes of trying to find the sweet spot on the trim. Popped in another set of fets (BF245B) and it started to phase OK but I still wanted to use my 2N5458 fets as they are closely matched compared to the BF245B's that I have. I changed the zener to 4.7V, adjusted the trim and ended the day a happy man. One thing I noticed is that the 2N5458 fets sounded better and cleaner to my ears against the BF245B fets.

Slade

Actually, I used unmatched 2N5952's in my last Phase 90 and I get a really nice sound, totally conform. Try changing the zener and if you can get some 2N5952's, try them too, you won't be disappointed!
Greetings ;)

guitarman89

Quote from: Slade on February 05, 2009, 06:22:06 PM
Sorry, buddy, I just wanted to ask how did you put the speed indicator led?
Thanks and success with your phaser ;)

you have to put a resistor in series with a led at pin 7 of IC1 (tonepad reference)

I will buy zeners from 3V to 9V and I will try others fets. However with bf245c (all motorola i suppose, there is "M" like in motorola cellphone) i got an awesome sound but i don't remember what kind of zener i put in it!!!  Thanks guys!!
built: MXR Dist+,dod250-280,dr boogey,IC buffers,cmos drive,multiface,20W SS pwr amps,phase90,tubescreamer,rat,amzMB,wuly mammoth,dod280,zombie chorus

guitarman89

All the problem are solved! I put in it four mpf102 anda new zener diode and it comes back!!! Thanks to everyone!

Joe Hart

Does it sound exactly the same?
-Joe Hart

Joe Hart