New vero layout: The Clone Theory

Started by cathexis, February 08, 2009, 04:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathexis

Hi,

There's a new veroboard layout in my gallery: the Clone Theory, made possible by Paul Nelson. See schematic at: http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ12EHCloneTheory.html

I just finished this, so I haven't really tried it to it's limits, but we're talking classic analog chorusing here. Lots of mid-ground between chorus and vibrato. No ticking, not much noise at all. This vero incorporates the stereo mod - I haven't really tested that, but on my scope it seems the two outputs are in phase, I thought they were supposed to be 180 degrees out of phase? Does anybody have any ideas about this?

There are lots of mods at Paul's site, I plan to try them all out of course. If there is any interest I'll report back with my findings.

There is a sound clip as well, just a quick one with a few settings. I might put up some more when I have played this effect some more.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/cathexis/

LARS

Hanglow

Damn you cathexis, I want to do the a/da flanger and now this   :icon_mrgreen:  sounds excellent, cheers for the layout

cathexis

Thanks Tom! Go for the A/DA before you do ANYTHING, that is one superb stompbox - I'm still stunned after weeks of playing that one.  :icon_rolleyes:

Anyway, I tried out all the mods outlined in Nelson's PDF. They successfully turned this beautifully simple chorus into a complicated space effects box where I found it really hard to find my way back to the musically useful settings. There were some interesting metallic flanger-like metallic sounds possible with the feedback high and the depth low, but hey - the A/DA flanger blows this out of the water in that department. So, I'll remove most of the mods and keep this stock (the rate led is to cool to leave out, though). I still like this better than the Small Clone and the CE-2. Try it, it's a cool build!

Any takers on my outputs-in-or-out-of-phase question?

LARS

Gila_Crisis

woa!!!! you're absolutely crazy by doing such layouts!!!!!!! much respect!

btw i've built a clone theory a while ago (from topopiccione PDF) and i love it! on mine i've added the delay pot mod (switchable, so that i can go back to the riginale value by flipping a switch, i've done so also because the switch once was for the double track mod, but after a while i finded it was preatty useless..)

oldschoolanalog

Nice job! I'm really blown away at how you were able to keep the layout so small on vero.
Great soundclips. They sealed the deal. This is one for the "to do" list :icon_cool:.
Thanks for sharing this.
Dave
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

cathexis

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on February 09, 2009, 02:44:15 PM
I'm really blown away at how you were able to keep the layout so small on vero.

Yeah, I'm proud! :icon_wink: