Clear coating aluminium

Started by acktopus, February 09, 2009, 09:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acktopus

I have just finished my first etch and it has turned out really, really well thanks to MarkM's excellent tutorial photo essay. I have a question about clear coating though that I can't seem to find in the search function. Do most of you clear coat an etch after the etch is all finished, painted and sanded or do you prefer to leave it raw? I like the look of the raw brushed aluminium but I'm concerned that the black paint I have used for the sides will just fleck off and scratch too easily.

The second part of the question is which brand of clear coat is considered the best for coating aluminium? I don't really want to use anything that is going to yellow or otherwise ruin the look of the pedal. I live in the UK so may not be able to get some of the same brands as those of you in the US  so would love to hear what some of the veteran UK etchers use for this job.

Andi

Dunno about the etching side, but I use Halfords lacquer and that seems to work ok. Check it doesn't react with the paint you've used first though.

Captainobvious99

What I plan on using is what several other members have recommended lately. That is, a 2-part clear epoxy. Dries thick, hard and clear and should be a very strong and durable top sealing coat.

frank_p

Quote from: Captainobvious99 on February 09, 2009, 11:27:50 AM
What I plan on using is what several other members have recommended lately. That is, a 2-part clear epoxy. Dries thick, hard and clear and should be a very strong and durable top sealing coat.

You apply that with a brush ?

Hanglow

Don't know about clear coating etched boxes, but I've been using Simoniz clear acrylic spray  for a couple of years now and none of the coats have started to yellow. It's only about £4 for a can too.

m-theory

Be aware that there's no such thing as a clearcoat that's formulated to stick to bare aluminum.  At least, not one that I'm aware of, and I was "in the biz" for 8 years.  You can apply anything you want to it.  Whether or not it sticks, and for how long, is the question.  I had delamination on the only box I've tried this to.  I'll never try it again, based on that experience.  You may find different results.  Or, maybe not. 

HopperP

Eastwood Diamond Clear Metal Aerosol 11 oz

Creates clear, tough, and flexible coatings every time!
Ideal for brass, aluminum, steel, die-cast, and cast iron

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=415&keyword=10200Z

acktopus

M-theory, so do you think it would be better to spray the pedal with clear coat so I can protect the paint at the sides and in the etch then maybe just wet sand the top and leave the bare aluminium exposed? Good to get advice from someone who has done a lot of this!  :icon_biggrin:

Also, thanks for the other replies, I'm going to see which of these I can find tomorrow.

davent

Hello,

I've used this Conservators Wax on bare aluminum and it does help to keep it looking good. Can easliy polish off fingers marks. 

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20090&cat=1,190,42950

The back panel of this is lacquer on bare aluminum and then the top deck is the Conservator's Wax on bare aluminum. (The lacquer of the back panel has also been waxed.)

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg