Power supply splitting questions

Started by Heemis, February 09, 2009, 01:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heemis

I've done a couple searches but can't find exactly what I'm looking for so I will ask. 

Basically I want to build a small box which will split a 9vdc power supply out to 3 pedals.  I have a Boss psa 120s adapter which provides 9.6vdc 500mA.  All my pedals are built with filtering and polarity protection, none of them are digital, and none draw more than 3mA.  Will I run into any problems building a small splitter box where the output power jacks are wired up in parallel with the input power jack?  Will the common grounding between the pedals be a noise problem?  Any suggestions/links to earlier discussions I missed would be appreciated.  Thanks!

alanlan

I would have thought that would be fine as long as each pedal has sufficient decoupling (and you can always add extra inside the box).  There's only one way to find out though...

petemoore

Will the common grounding between the pedals be a noise problem?
  Only if 'problem' noise gets in the SP through a ground loop, which can seem 'dormant until that happens. Commonly the noise is 'none' or small enough where it doesn't matter [see 'daisy chain'] or 'floating DC supply'.
  Always check for non-continuity between voltage rails before applying power, what you described seems understandable and workable.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

km-r

just keep the wires practically short...
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.