BBE Two-Timer (DM-2 clone)

Started by Uma Floresta, March 04, 2009, 11:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uma Floresta

A while back I got the BBE Two-Timer analog delay, which according to the user manual is based on the Boss DM-2. I'll post some gutshots soon. In the mean time, I opened it up and noted that it's using the Cool Audio Cool Audio V3205D BBD. Also under the hood is the SA571D - apparently a compander - and a CD3102. Not sure what that is - some kind of opamp? Anyway, nice components. Metal film resistors, and those dark red poly film caps. Two 3PDT switches used for bypass and for delay time switching. Good quality inside and out.

Here's the datasheet for the Cool Audio chip:

http://www.coolaudio.com/files/public/V3205_DATASHEET.pdf

Does anyone have an idea how involved it would be to add another BBD to a DM-2 type circuit to increase delay time?

Anyway, gutshots to follow in a day or two.

tehfunk

the cd3102 is an mn3102, it pairs up with  the v3205 (mn3205). gut shots should be pretty cool. thanks for the info.
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

Uma Floresta

Quote from: tehfunk on March 04, 2009, 12:06:30 PM
the cd3102 is an mn3102, it pairs up with  the v3205 (mn3205). gut shots should be pretty cool. thanks for the info.

Ah hah, thanks for clearing that up for me.

aziltz

BBE construction is top notch, i've got 5 of their pedals and i'm gonna pick up the Two Timer off ebay for my acoustic eventually.  Great stuff, and you can always find a good deal!

liquids

To anyone interested, Daddys.com had a slew of them on their website listed as "used" all at 49.99! They list it as $10 to ship it directly to you if you can't get to a local store...could be a bargain if this is what you're looking for!    :D
Breadboard it!

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Uma Floresta on March 04, 2009, 11:30:47 AM
Does anyone have an idea how involved it would be to add another BBD to a DM-2 type circuit to increase delay time?
See the schematic for the AD-3208 over at general Guitar Gadgets.  Scott Swartz' elegant design (where the heck is he these days, anyways?) uses a pair of 3208 chips for longer delay.  While the design came about at a time when 4096-stage chips appeared to be disappearing over the horizon, it is happily the case that Coolaudio has brought them back, and even more happily the case that the MN3205/V3205 has exactly the same pinout as the MN3208/BL3208. :icon_biggrin:  So, Scott's drawing will show you exactly whatneeds to be done electronically.  Whether that is practically feasible within the actual physical pedal is a separate matter.

Uma Floresta

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 06, 2009, 10:41:45 AM
Quote from: Uma Floresta on March 04, 2009, 11:30:47 AM
See the schematic for the AD-3208 over at general Guitar Gadgets.  Scott Swartz' elegant design (where the heck is he these days, anyways?) uses a pair of 3208 chips for longer delay.  While the design came about at a time when 4096-stage chips appeared to be disappearing over the horizon, it is happily the case that Coolaudio has brought them back, and even more happily the case that the MN3205/V3205 has exactly the same pinout as the MN3208/BL3208. :icon_biggrin:  So, Scott's drawing will show you exactly whatneeds to be done electronically.  Whether that is practically feasible within the actual physical pedal is a separate matter.

Ah, thanks very much, Mark  :icon_wink:

jhamnett

I just ordered one of these with the Daddy's deal.  If I can get a hold of one of the BBD chips, I can just line it up with the other and place it on top to increase the delay time without worrying about a lower quality signal, right?

jhamnett

Bump.  Apparently fiddling with the trimpots gives a bit more time...

asatbluesboy

Another bump. Anyone's got a clue where the missing bias pot would go to? Damn double-sided board's getting me all confused.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

rockhorst

I tried the Two Timer a while ago...loved the concept, but it sounded kinda sterile and dull to me, sadly. Construction does look nice and solid indeed.
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

Quasi-Music

Since the last post on this thread, has anyone been able to produce a detailed schematic for the BBE Two Timer?