SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

geofex A/B/Y

Started by trixdropd, March 26, 2009, 05:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trixdropd

Does anyone have a veroboard layout??

trixdropd

Not a chance I guess.....Lol!! It was worth a shot...

jefe

Why would any board be needed at all? Isn't an A/B/Y just switches and jacks? No, wait...

I suppose a link to what you're asking about would help.  :)

aziltz

trixdropd

My bad, I didn't realize there were different versions...

It's the Updated hum Free A/B/Y  http://geofex.com/FX_images/humfree2.gif

trixdropd

somebody has to have a vero layout for the geofex improved a/b/y..

Please share, I'm ready to build!!

LEON.01

Bump!

Wouldn't mind it either!  ;)

R.G.

The point of the DIYer is that if it doesn't exist, one makes it.

The A/B/Y would be a good thing for you to learn to do vero layouts on, wouldn't it?   :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

trixdropd

Quote from: R.G. on March 31, 2009, 09:19:31 AM
The point of the DIYer is that if it doesn't exist, one makes it.

The A/B/Y would be a good thing for you to learn to do vero layouts on, wouldn't it?   :icon_biggrin:
Jeez R.G., It seems you're always right... I was just thinking someone hit this already... I just wanna be sure it works the 1st time....
I should add that I've never vero'd before.

Thanks!!

jefe

Quote from: trixdropd on March 31, 2009, 12:37:48 PM

Just a thought... if you've never used vero, and if it's safe to assume that you don't have a preference, then why not try making it on perfboard? I think there's already a layout in the gallery for it:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/zpyders-veb/zpyders-perf-layouts/humfreeaby/Improved_Hum_Free_ABY_Perf.gif.html

I've never tried vero myself, but since I started out on perf, I have a bit of a preference in that direction.

trixdropd

Quote from: jefe on March 31, 2009, 12:52:26 PM
Quote from: trixdropd on March 31, 2009, 12:37:48 PM

Just a thought... if you've never used vero, and if it's safe to assume that you don't have a preference, then why not try making it on perfboard? I think there's already a layout in the gallery for it:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/zpyders-veb/zpyders-perf-layouts/humfreeaby/Improved_Hum_Free_ABY_Perf.gif.html

I've never tried vero myself, but since I started out on perf, I have a bit of a preference in that direction.
I do have perf and vero laying around, that link is helpful in my adapting it to vero.
Thanks A lot jefe....

trixdropd

Alright, I tried to build this on perf board to avoid re laying it out without full understanding.Is this design correct?  http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/zpyders-veb/zpyders-perf-layouts/humfreeaby/Improved_Hum_Free_ABY_Perf.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1  I assume b5 should connect with a6, am I correct? I don't quite understand all the wires, I'm just doing a split for testing. I have s8 as + input, with the input connected to ground. The two switch wires I have unconnected at the moment. I have a hum noise present, though signal seems to be working well through both channels. it's not my cables as I can test with my wah in place of the circuit and the hum is not there. Any ideas before I take voltages and troubleshoot?

I should add that since it was not indicated, all my caps are negative down, and my transformers are P to the left side.

Barcode80

Quote from: trixdropd on April 07, 2009, 12:32:59 AM
Alright, I tried to build this on perf board to avoid re laying it out without full understanding.Is this design correct?  http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/zpyders-veb/zpyders-perf-layouts/humfreeaby/Improved_Hum_Free_ABY_Perf.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1  I assume b5 should connect with a6, am I correct? I don't quite understand all the wires, I'm just doing a split for testing. I have s8 as + input, with the input connected to ground. The two switch wires I have unconnected at the moment. I have a hum noise present, though signal seems to be working well through both channels. it's not my cables as I can test with my wah in place of the circuit and the hum is not there. Any ideas before I take voltages and troubleshoot?

I should add that since it was not indicated, all my caps are negative down, and my transformers are P to the left side.
actually, the negative sides are indicated by a gray shadow. C5 and C7 have negative side down, the other two have neg side up.

trixdropd

Quote from: Barcode80 on April 07, 2009, 12:48:01 AM
Quote from: trixdropd on April 07, 2009, 12:32:59 AM

actually, the negative sides are indicated by a gray shadow. C5 and C7 have negative side down, the other two have neg side up.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I will change those tomorrow and see if that solves my issue.

was I right about b5 connecting with a6 or should those not be connected?

Barcode80

if the layout is marked verified, then it works. as such, no, those places should not connect, as they do not on the layout.

trixdropd

Ok, I had a go at this tonight. I fixed the caps, disconnected the spot I connected that is not on the layout. Everything still sounds the same as far as the 60hz hum goes. I am using amplitube xgear; on a clean preset it sounds perfect, I kick on a high gain sound and the hum is there. This is kinda disappointing...  Any more ideas? The transformers can't backwords right?
Also, the hum is there even when the guitar is tuned all the way down, and it's 1 guitar into a computer interface, No ground loops possible to my knowledge.

Barcode80

what you are describing sounds more like a ground not connected, not a ground loop. double check that all your jacks are grounded and such.

trixdropd

Quote from: Barcode80 on April 07, 2009, 08:34:36 AM
what you are describing sounds more like a ground not connected, not a ground loop. double check that all your jacks are grounded and such.
The jacks are all grounded for sure. I guess i'm gonna have to measure the voltages and post them for you guys to see. Like I said, it works, except it's not silent. The problem rears it's head via high gain.

trixdropd

Here are my results...

Power supply, no load: 8.99
Power supply, load attached: 8.99
IC1:
1. -4.91
2. -4.85
3. -5.82
4. -8.14
5. -6.28
6. -4.70
7. -4.76
8.  9.00

IC2:
1. -5.94
2. -5.91
3.  0
4. -8.16
5.  0
6.  0
7. 8.41
8. 9.00

IC3:
1.  9.00
2.  4.45
3.  0
4. -4.12
5. -8.15
6.  4.16
7.  3.80
8.  9.00

If you need more voltages, let me know. Pics of the build and a soundclip forthcoming....

trixdropd

Ok, as promised, here's some pics and a soundclip. I am stuck and would love to finish this today...

Sound clip:
www.dropd.net/geo/geofexaby.mp3