Pedal Patch Bay noise issue?

Started by Isaiah4Autumn, April 08, 2009, 06:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaiah4Autumn

I recently wired together a pedal patch bay for my pops and noticed that I'm getting alot of humming noise...signal comes through fine but alot of notable noise. When I was building and test there was no noise until I patched it into the pedal board. It's mounted underneath his pedaltrain about 4-5 inches from his voodoo labs pedal power 2. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions to help with the noise. I used a Hammond 1590a box and switchcraft mono jacks. I have them wired to each other respectively. Guitar-1st pedal and last pedal-amp. Please help me.  ???

trixdropd

Quote from: Isaiah4Autumn on April 08, 2009, 06:14:21 PM
I recently wired together a pedal patch bay for my pops and noticed that I'm getting alot of humming noise...signal comes through fine but alot of notable noise. When I was building and test there was no noise until I patched it into the pedal board. It's mounted underneath his pedaltrain about 4-5 inches from his voodoo labs pedal power 2. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions to help with the noise. I used a Hammond 1590a box and switchcraft mono jacks. I have them wired to each other respectively. Guitar-1st pedal and last pedal-amp. Please help me.  ???
make sure the enclosure is grounded, and move it away from your power source as transformers cause hum.

Isaiah4Autumn

Quote from: trixdropd on April 08, 2009, 06:41:26 PM
make sure the enclosure is grounded, and move it away from your power source as transformers cause hum.

how much further should I move it...I thought it was grounded already because there's contact between the mono jacks (ring) and the enclosure? am I missing something

trixdropd

Quote from: Isaiah4Autumn on April 08, 2009, 07:07:36 PM
Quote from: trixdropd on April 08, 2009, 06:41:26 PM

how much further should I move it...I thought it was grounded already because there's contact between the mono jacks (ring) and the enclosure? am I missing something
it should be grounded then. I'd make it where it has some room to move, and fire the rig up, and experiment moving the box around and see if the hum is changing. if it is, move it to the spot of lowest hum.

Processaurus

Definitely try moving it, but the pedal power shouldn't be the source of the noise  because it uses a toroidal transformer which make less EMI than a normal wall wart transformer.  Could it be a ground loop thing (like if there's a pedal that uses three prong line power, or the Pedal power is plugged into a different outlet than the amp)?  Other than that it would mean starting with the guitar and the amp, and then add half the pedals, and if that's good, the other half.  The divide and conquer approach, like debugging circuits.