SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Crybaby mod

Started by rbcguitar, April 08, 2009, 06:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbcguitar

I did this mod to my crybaby;

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

Sounds real good, very vocal like, I noticed a few things though.

I seem to hear a lil modulation going on when really moving wah fast and when I am playing with high-ish gain i seem to hear a lil bump when rocking wah back and forth.  Anyone know what might be going on?

Also, I might have made a slight mistake, on bottom left of picture, I replaced the stock 470 ohm resistor at the emitter of Q1 with a 270 ohm resistor, the trace between Q1 emitter and the top of resistor seemed to be solder only so i clumped solder between the two, could this be the source of the modulation? (in a weird way it actually sounds kinda cool)

Any insights would be awesome,

Thanks in advanced

Paul Marossy

Quote from: rbcguitar on April 08, 2009, 06:15:37 PM
I did this mod to my crybaby;

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

Sounds real good, very vocal like, I noticed a few things though.

I seem to hear a lil modulation going on when really moving wah fast and when I am playing with high-ish gain i seem to hear a lil bump when rocking wah back and forth.  Anyone know what might be going on?

Also, I might have made a slight mistake, on bottom left of picture, I replaced the stock 470 ohm resistor at the emitter of Q1 with a 270 ohm resistor, the trace between Q1 emitter and the top of resistor seemed to be solder only so i clumped solder between the two, could this be the source of the modulation? (in a weird way it actually sounds kinda cool)

Any insights would be awesome,

Thanks in advanced

Hmm... mine doesn't do that. I'm not sure why yours would be behaving like that. I might have to do with that clump of solder.

newfish

Hmm,  carried out the same mod, also without the 'bump' you described above.

..maybe you started something new...

:icon_wink:

Maybe clean up the solder 'blob'  and see what difference that makes.

Also - did you carry out all the mods described on that page?  I found the 'sweep cap' mod made my CB sound very un-wah-like.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

Paul Marossy

QuoteI found the 'sweep cap' mod made my CB sound very un-wah-like.

You could also try a .015uF cap instead. Some people have reported good results using that value.

One thing I have found with these CryBaby mods is that the end result is not always consistent. I did the "Fat Wah" mod to one of my GCB-95s and it worked great, but when I did to a friend's exact same wah pedal, and it was problematic and I had to revert back to the original circuit. I still haven't figured that one out yet. Maybe it's due to variations in the actual part values on any particular PCB? I dunno...  :icon_confused: