News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Parts gremlins

Started by SonicVI, April 09, 2009, 03:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicVI

Do you have them too those little buggers that steal your components while you aren't looking? Where do they go once they hit the floor or you walk away for a bathroom break?   >:(

Nitefly182

Quote from: SonicVI on April 09, 2009, 03:23:43 AM
Do you have them too those little buggers that steal your components while you aren't looking? Where do they go once they hit the floor or you walk away for a bathroom break?   >:(

I swear I had a bunch of 33k 1/4 watt carbon comps but sure enough theyre all gone now. Parts gremlins indeed!

SonicVI

If you don't find them I've got a few I can mail to you.

Andi

I managed to mislay a box of 25 enclosures once. Absolutely no idea where they went...

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: SonicVI on April 09, 2009, 03:59:12 AM
If you don't find them I've got a few I can mail to you.

Gremlins or parts?  ???

GREEN FUZ

I don`t believe in gremlins but I do have a cat that is strangely attracted to my electronics components. Particularly knobs and pots. When she`s not skittering them round the floor she likes to hide them in inaccessible places, like inside shoes, beneath the sofa, or behind the heater.
Can`t think how many items I`ve "lost" this way.

frequencycentral

I have the opposite problem. Parts seem to keep 'mysteriously appearing' by the front door, just below the letterbox. I have no idea how they get there or where they come from. Shame to waste them though, so I try to make use of them as best I can. At least that's what the GF thinks!  :icon_mrgreen:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

kurtlives

I usually dont lose parts cause they are all organized.

When I start a build though (pedal/amp) and I'm in the middle of it I always find myself loosing tools. Schematics and papers cover my bench and small screw drivers and lengths of solder seem to disappear.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

dano12

Half of my build time is spent yelling "where are the goddamn .....". After 15 minutes of searching, I find it right in front of me.

QuoteShe's tidied up and I can't find anything.
All my tubes and wires and careful notes
-Thomas Dolby

Paul Marossy

They seem to like stealing the screws that hold the bottom plates on the enclosures I use for my projects.  :icon_lol:

jacobyjd

My gremlins don't really steal parts...they're more diabolical than that.

Generally what they do is re-label all of my capacitors with the values I don't need for my upcoming projects, so when I go to order parts, it looks like I have all I need.

Then just as the mailman drops off my shiny, new order, they re-label them all to their original values.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Ripthorn

My gremlin is a cute 20 month old who thinks that my boxes of components serve no other purpose than to entertain her when she shakes the living daylights out of them.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

zhx

Stage one: collect components
Stage two.
Stage three: Profit!

Nitefly182

Quote from: dano12 on April 09, 2009, 09:38:13 AM
Half of my build time is spent yelling "where are the goddamn .....". After 15 minutes of searching, I find it right in front of me.

QuoteShe's tidied up and I can't find anything.
All my tubes and wires and careful notes
-Thomas Dolby

I am screwed because you are way more organized than I am.

bumblebee

I've searched up and down for "lost"  trannies before only to realize I've already soldered them in the board.LOL I felt like a real tool!

svstee

I wonder if these "parts gremlins" are related to the type that steal my picks...

slideman82

Well, I have a theory for all this parts and tools that strangely disapear: there is an undiscovered 4th dimension that sucks these things and take them to the future, could be seconds, minutes, hours, days... and they travel in time exactly to the same place where we left them, and there is where we find them later...
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

biggy boy

I have a problem with invisible components that are able to hide on my work bench someware right in-front of me.
Sometimes thou I will get a short glimpse of them, just before they get sucked up by my shop vac when I tidy up.
Oh I hate the sound of those little suckers going up the pipe.

bumblebee

Quote from: slideman82 on April 10, 2009, 07:53:11 PM
Well, I have a theory for all this parts and tools that strangely disapear: there is an undiscovered 4th dimension that sucks these things and take them to the future.....
That would be the 5th dimension because there already exists a 4th dimension, that of time!

zeeman

Hmmm... I too have experienced strange things.

It seems like every time I look in my parts bins, there are more parts then before.

Where do these extra parts come from? How did they get into my parts bins?

I don't think mine is a Gremlin problem, but I do I believe that there is some "hanky panky" going on.

zeeman