Dr Boogey and j201

Started by served, April 29, 2009, 01:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

served

Hi!
Im exepriencing some problems with finding thouse J201s in Dr Boogey.
My stores cant offer me exactly the right thing, and also, they cant tell me, what should be used as analog.
So, maybe, you can help me out?

I found 2SJ201, put its nfet. And damn exepensive. If i buy theese, then its gonna be the expencivest bought i have ever done for parts.

Any suggestions?

Dr Boogey schematics: http://geocities.com/electrictabs/dr.boogey.png

BAARON

B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

MohiZ

I accidentally bought one of those, and it's H.U.G.E  ;D Good luck fitting a circuit with those in an enclosure  ;D I've read that MPF102 can be used as well.

aron

served

Well yeah. If i would live in the US, then i would use Smallbear. But it takes ages for me, to get the parts. I live in eastern europe.
I think ill give MPF102-s a try.

MohiZ

Is your country a part of the EU? If it is, you can order from other EU countries without paying toll. This is where I always order from:
http://www.musikding.de/
It's a German company, I myself live in northern Europe. The shipping takes about a week, but that's not too long for me. And it might be faster to your country.

Very cheap, J201s are only 0,22 EUR.

connie_c

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/transistors.html

47 cents each and cheap shipping, just heard of this site in another post on here today and am gonna make an order tomorrow. they seem nice and cheap.

served

Yeah! I just finished my build.
For now i have built two High-gain distortion pedals. Krank Distortus maximus and this one.
I really loved Krank, but this is bejond... I just need to get the voltages right and then i can rock on!

The best sounding peal i have heard so far!

valdiorn

reat to hear, I'm also planning to build both those circuits.
If possible, post soundclips of both the distortus and your new Boogey as soon as possible :D

an answer to your original question:
I use eBay for just about everything except large bulk orders (for which I use futurlec.com )

found this:
10 for 5.50$ with intl. shipping
Link

and this:
30 for 6.25 with intl. shipping
Link

Some people have been bashing the direction which eBay is taking with these large warehouse sellers, but IMO, I fkn LOVE it, because they are much much more willing to offer international shipping! :)

slideman82

Damn J201... have anyone tried 2N5458 or 5457, if they got the same pinout? I can't remember this... my DR B has some MPF102 and some others, and sounds great!
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

served

Well actually there is no need for soundclip. You just dont feel it with out hearing yourself.

By the way, im planning to take out the trim pots and replace them with stable resistors. TRIms seems to interfere the sound somehow. But at the moment im not shure about the values. Ill have to measure them i think.

My Boogey looks like this. It has a blue Led for now, but i have not capured it on the picture yet.

Ed G.

Quote from: slideman82 on May 26, 2009, 11:28:21 AM
Damn J201... have anyone tried 2N5458 or 5457, if they got the same pinout? I can't remember this... my DR B has some MPF102 and some others, and sounds great!

2n5457 is the same pinout. They are a little less gainy, but sound tighter and less dark. I'd be willing to bet they would sound nice in a circuit like this.

valdiorn

Quote from: served on April 29, 2009, 07:35:06 AM
Well yeah. If i would live in the US, then i would use Smallbear. But it takes ages for me, to get the parts. I live in eastern europe.
I think ill give MPF102-s a try.

I just bought a large supply of stuff from Smallbear (6 Hammond B-size boxes, 40 pots and some other stuff). Shipment weighs almost 2 kilos, but it only took 10 days to reach me here in Iceland. He has great service (there was one part out of stock, but he sent the other stuff first, then, when that part was in stock he sent it in a parcel, not extra cost. the small parcel actually got here a day before the other parts, even though it was mailed 3 days later. so if you only need 5-6 J201's you're not gonna have to wait very long)

served

thats true. I ordered my parts from www.uraltone.com Finland
i got the package in 6 days. Really good customersupport. I really enyoied dealing with them.

served

Hi again. Its an old thread but so what..
Im here to ask about biasing the JFETs.

I accidentaly reed about biasing the Fets by ear. Some one from this forum had a really good How to, to teach how to bias them correctly.
There was something about Guitar Volume knob and start from the end and so on.

Who are you and how was it exactly? I cant find the thread anymore. Could some one help me!

arma61

Quote from: served on September 09, 2009, 11:36:48 AM
Hi again. Its an old thread but so what..
Im here to ask about biasing the JFETs.

I accidentaly reed about biasing the Fets by ear. Some one from this forum had a really good How to, to teach how to bias them correctly.
There was something about Guitar Volume knob and start from the end and so on.

Who are you and how was it exactly? I cant find the thread anymore. Could some one help me!

Hi

Daniel Schwartz from Chile (dschwartz) is the man, see this link

may be this link can help

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=78679.msg648723#msg648723

Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

served

Yeah Thanks man!! This is the one!

dschwartz said
~4.5V is just the ballpark..you need to tweak it by ear now, i do this:
- lower the gain pot to almost clean
- let the guitar strings ring
- start from the last fet to first searching for the loudest sound when turning the trimpot (loudest hiss/hum helps too)
- stop at the loudest position.
- put nail polish on the trims to fix the position (not necessary)

and voila!

I hope he doesnt mind, its just that i can find it later more easily.

dschwartz

well that´s the method i use and works quite good..
i hated biasing with DMM , specially if i´ve to re-bias them afterwards anyway...
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com