How good are the Sub Mini Tubes?

Started by aron, May 11, 2009, 03:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougH

Quote from: panterica on May 14, 2009, 12:48:32 PM

Considering how relatively young these submini pedal designs are, I believe they have much more potential for quality sound than their transistor counterparts. The only reason I say that is because of what Doug Hammond and others mentioned before; their compression and dynamics are naturally different.

Just to clarify- I was referring to pentodes in particular, as opposed to triodes. I'm not convinced that triodes are "enough different" from SS to make me want to go to the trouble to build triode pedals. But I do have an old car radio triode tube based design I may build to see how it stacks up. It sounded nice from what I recall.

Sorry for the thread derail, Aron. Can't help you with the submini's.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

frequencycentral

Anyone have any experience with the very mojo looking Russian subminis?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

juse

One of the main things I like about tubes, in amps anyway, is the 'sag' compression that awakens when the amp is pushed into the zone. That is when the mojo starts flowing for me. I don't believe this is something that can be duplicated with pedals, although I do think there are some sweet tube pedal designs out there.

Speaking of sag.... I like to crank my old orange 120 until the lights in the house just start to dim, then put my guitar headstock on the corner of the cabinet and get infinite ebow-like sustain. Magic. Pure magic.

solderman

Quote from: juse on May 14, 2009, 09:11:03 PM

Speaking of sag.... I like to crank my old orange 120 until the lights in the house just start to dim, then put my guitar headstock on the corner of the cabinet and get infinite ebow-like sustain. Magic. Pure magic.

Is that an opinion you nighburs share as well ;D

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)