anyone gonna tackle the new Stereo Flanger from BYOC????

Started by KorovaMilkBar, May 12, 2009, 03:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KorovaMilkBar

so ya, BYOC has finally released their flanger after quite a long wait i would assume. they were shooting for a late feb early march release and i have just heard about this halfway through may. but its here, and it looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!

me and my dad are planning on getting the kit and trying our luck (with the somewhat little skill we have). im sure we can get it done though, and its supposed to be a great flanger that combines many different aspects of famous flangers of 'yore (electric mistress, roland and such...) too produce a unique, orgasmic (i also presume) experience.

Question: do YOU think your man enough???????:icon_lol:

peace
mike (KorovaMilkBar)

Thomeeque

Quick reference for those interested:

BYOC kit page (instructions contain link to schematic)
demo (youtube)
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

danielzink

Mine is on my bench right now being populated.....

Dan

BDuguay

I suspect I'll be tackling a few anytime now... :icon_cool:
B.

oldschoolanalog

It's one trimpot design should make it simple to calibrate. :icon_cool:

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

tackleberry

I really wanted 1 but its release date kept getting pushed back and back. So I bought a flanger. I might come up with the cash at some date to build 1 and sell my other 1.

Mark Hammer

I'm watching the video right now, and I gotta tell you, I don't really hear any difference between the single BBD and dual-BBD settings.  And looking at the schematic ( http://buildyourownclone.com/flangerscheme.pdf ) I honestly can't see any reason why I would.  Essentially all it is is two chips run in parallel with the clock lines flipped over for the other chip.  In principal, it doubles the sampling rate and ought to improve signal fidelity, but I can't for the life of me see where it would change basic tone.

The stereo out is not really stereo, either.  Basically, you have an in-phase output, and a second output that is simply the same thing inverted.  This is not the same as having sum and difference versions of the wet/dry mix at different outputs; a common strategy for many "stereo" modulation pedals like phasers, chorus, etc..  If you had a wet/dry mix option and had a 100% wet output, then the phase-flip would be useful for producing sum and difference signals at a mixer.  As is, however, I don't find it particularly useful.

Sorry, I hate to be negative, but I don't think this one is quite yet ready for market.  Still needs some changes.  Having said that about the seemingly needless minimally-useful bells and whistles, the basic device is fine.

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Thomeeque

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 12, 2009, 11:24:14 AM
I'm watching the video right now, and I gotta tell you, I don't really hear any difference between the single BBD and dual-BBD settings.  And looking at the schematic ( http://buildyourownclone.com/flangerscheme.pdf ) I honestly can't see any reason why I would.  Essentially all it is is two chips run in parallel with the clock lines flipped over for the other chip.  In principal, it doubles the sampling rate and ought to improve signal fidelity, but I can't for the life of me see where it would change basic tone.

I'd say that either you choose higher fidelity (using two same BBDs) or "difference" (using MN3207 as IC2 and MN3208 as IC3), seems pretty cool to me.

The stereo out is not really stereo, either.  Basically, you have an in-phase output, and a second output that is simply the same thing inverted.  This is not the same as having sum and difference versions of the wet/dry mix at different outputs; a common strategy for many "stereo" modulation pedals like phasers, chorus, etc..  If you had a wet/dry mix option and had a 100% wet output, then the phase-flip would be useful for producing sum and difference signals at a mixer.  As is, however, I don't find it particularly useful.

It seemed strange to me as well, but I would not be so sure it does not produce interesting stereo image, until I'd here it (shame that video is monophonic..).

Sorry, I hate to be negative, but I don't think this one is quite yet ready for market.  Still needs some changes.  Having said that about the seemingly needless minimally-useful bells and whistles, the basic device is fine.

Too strong words IMO..

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

slacker

I've probably missed something obvious, but VR1 looks like a bias pot except it's setting the bias for both BBDs. Won't that cause problems if they don't want the same bias voltage?

Mark Hammer

Quote from: slacker on May 12, 2009, 01:37:41 PM
I've probably missed something obvious, but VR1 looks like a bias pot except it's setting the bias for both BBDs. Won't that cause problems if they don't want the same bias voltage?
You'd be surprised how many devices will "share" the same bias setting across multiple BBDs.  I suppose fidelity can be improved when bias individually optimized, but in many instances, a satisfactory compromise can be reached for a couple of BBDs, using one trimpot.
Quote from: Thomeeque on May 12, 2009, 12:44:35 PM
I'd say that either you choose higher fidelity (using two same BBDs) or "difference" (using MN3207 as IC2 and MN3208 as IC3), seems pretty cool to me.

T.
That's actually an interesting idea.  Using mixed chips, one would provide a "lagging" delay.  Since the two chips are ganged to a single clock, there would be no heterodyning.

cathexis

Half done, not gonna make this an all-nighter. Gotta love those flangers! I started out with a BYOC TS-808 kit, but they don't ship to Sweden anymore. Good thing there's vero!
LARS

slacker

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 12, 2009, 02:11:37 PM
You'd be surprised how many devices will "share" the same bias setting across multiple BBDs. 

Cool I didn't realise that. Apart from building Charlie's ADA flanger clone I've never done anything with BBDs.

tackleberry

After watching the video I think Ill keep my ibanez flanger for now. When he flipped the differential switch either the microphone was right next to that switch or it there was a big thump in the pedal when it was switched.

Bucksears

Quote from: tackleberry on May 13, 2009, 12:04:40 PM
After watching the video I think Ill keep my ibanez flanger for now.

Ditto - I haven't heard a flanger yet that makes me want to ditch my FL99 Classic Flange. With true-bypass and loads of controls, it does everything I want a flanger to do.
The only other commercially made one that I liked (and probably should have kept) was an older Ibanez FL-301DX; it had a good buffer, ran on 9V and wasn't intense, but a very SWEET flange - almost like a chorus/flange blend.

Nitefly182

The A/DA builds from Charlie's boards sound a whole lot better IMO.

chilecocula

I'm watching the video right now, and I gotta tell you, I don't really hear any difference between the single BBD and dual-BBD settings.  

I heard a really loud pop, so loud it makes me laugh  :icon_mrgreen:
in conservative stompboxes, tone is neither created nor destroyed, but transformed