I Need Suggesttions!

Started by denver.p, May 12, 2009, 01:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denver.p

So I've built a couple kits and now I want to get into the science and designing/modding of pedals from the ground up. I just need some help.

First: What else should I have on my Protoboard? The smaller knob is a voltage sag, and the big guy is a master volume.

Second:I'd like to do a bigger order from Small Bear of all the components that I'll need for a while. I'll probably get their resistor kit, but am not sure what diodes and transistors to get. I'd like to get enough to breadboard a few different schematics, and have components for modding them. So, Suggestions?

Gus

Are you starting a company?

denver.p

Quote from: Gus on May 12, 2009, 01:44:29 PM
Are you starting a company?
Not planning on it. I'll probably "sell" some to friends who play, but I'm just building these for me.
The sticker is just to class up the plywood, if that's what made you ask.

Joe Hart

1 - Figure out what you want to build in the next few months (like 3 FF, a couple Dist+, a few wahs, etc.)
2 - Make a parts list of transistors, IC's, switches, pots, knobs, etc.
3 - Add a few extra/different transistors, IC's, pots, etc. for modding
4 - Buy a big package of different resistor values
5 - Buy a big package of different capacitor values
6 - Hole up in your basement with a soldering iron shunning family and friends

This would be for a hobbyist. If you're asking what stock you need to start up a business, I don't really know. Hope this helps.
-Joe Hart

Joe Hart

Just saw your post about not starting a business. Wise decision!! :) I am a HUGE proponent of harvesting resistors and caps (and sometimes IC's and transistors) from dead electronics. It's free and if you have enough "stock," you can always find the value you need no matter how obscure!
-Joe Hart

denver.p

Quote from: Joe Hart on May 12, 2009, 01:51:22 PM
1 - Figure out what you want to build in the next few months (like 3 FF, a couple Dist+, a few wahs, etc.)
2 - Make a parts list of transistors, IC's, switches, pots, knobs, etc.
3 - Add a few extra/different transistors, IC's, pots, etc. for modding
4 - Buy a big package of different resistor values
5 - Buy a big package of different capacitor values
6 - Hole up in your basement with a soldering iron shunning family and friends

This would be for a hobbyist. If you're asking what stock you need to start up a business, I don't really know. Hope this helps.
-Joe Hart

Good tips!

Skruffyhound

Like Joe says, figure out what you want to make. I'd suggest adding the component lists together and seeing which values keep cropping up, a lot of 10k and 1M resistors for example or 0.1uf caps, buy a few extra of these. This way you'll get a feel for the range of values used for pedal building. My mistake on my first order was to buy too many low value ceramic caps, so I'm pretty well set up for life unless I start building radio equipment.
I'm also with Joe on the recycling, collect a few old VCR's and stereo amps rip em' limb from limb and when you miss some odd number part,take your magnifying glass with a light in it (essential equipment) and go hunting.
For what it's worth my tip for keeping things in order when it all arrives - leave all your caps and resistors in their bags/envelopes and just divide them up into the 5 main values i.e. anything that starts with 1; 100ohm,1k,10k,1M go in one draw/compartment,200ohm,2k,20k,2M in the next. The same with the caps.
For your prototyping board you're going to want all the off board things you use in a pedal, input output jacks,battery clip, LED perhaps, selection of pots, maybe a switch. All this mounted on a small panel.
To be honest though, if you are just starting out, prototyping is probably limited to switching out different diodes to see what you like best or changing out germanium transistors to silicon etc. My experience has been that a good place to start is making some veroboard circuits, there are lots in the gallery here (thanks Andrew Carrell) and using IC strip pins. These are a strip of 32 or 64 pins that you cut to the required length and solder into your vero to mount delicate components. The advantage being that you can whip your germanium transistor out and switch it to something else without having to desolder or damage it. It also works for any other components that you think you might want to change (with the exception of In4001 series diodes, big legs on them.)
When you've got a few builds under your belt and you want to do something more funky it will almost certainly be building from a schematic. The PCB may be available but there's not much prototyping fun in that (just filling the holes with components- unless you just want the effect) try to build on pad per hole board, that way it's a solid build and you can lay it out pretty much as it is in the schematic so it's easy to get your head round. There are some very interesting schematics out there, but only the most common PCB's are available to buy.
When you get to this point you may find you are ready to go back to the breadboard and start playing with design changes which you can then etch your own PCB's for.
Breadboarding is frustrating for beginners and there are not many resources i.e. build information/pictures that I can find.
However, I am by no means an expert, this is just my experience starting up building. Good Luck

Skruffyhound

Ok, so now I read your questions again and I can see I went slightly off topic, so, to sum up.
Flick through your schematics and write down specifically which diodes,transistors, opamps, and chips they require. Buy a bunch of them.
The same ones pop up again and again. Just make sure you check which transistors you need NPN and which PNP.
Breadboarding sucks (at least for those of us who are breadboard challenged) and the more interesting the design (i.e. complicated) the bigger the chance it won't work first time. So read up on debugging techniques.

MoltenVoltage

Get a temperature-controlled soldering iron ASAP.  And a good supply of desoldering  braid (.075" is a good start).

Get a real oscilloscope (stand-alone).  I got my first one for $40 on ebay and it still works great.
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!