Is anyone having problems with finished 1590NS from PPP?

Started by Nitefly182, May 15, 2009, 02:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitefly182

Every finished 1590NS enclosure I have gotten from PPP lately has been impossible to assemble because the screws will not go more than a few turns into the threaded holes. I end up with hours of work into a pedal that is ultimately useless when I cannot put the backplate on. Its extremely frustrating and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thus far it seems to only affect the 1590NS. The 1290NS I get from them are always fine.

ppatchmods

I've had this happen before, but I just muscle it in there and it's all good after that. it maybe clear coat getting in there or something.
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

mdh

Identify the screw thread being used (I think it's probably 6-32, but I wouldn't swear to it), get the corresponding tap, and use it to carefully clean the threads.

John Lyons

The hammond and bud enclosures have much better screws and quality.
The NS screws have too small  of a pitch (threads are too tightly spaced) and every once and a while I'll get a
funky screw that cross threads and won't work...pick up a new screw and it's fine.
A pain in the ass...I guess that's why they are so cheap! (in quality as well as price.
I use the 1290NS boxes mainly. I'd thread the screws in first and make sure they work
before you make the box. PPP should step up though if you have "bad" boxes.

EDIT: I think that the screws in my case were the problem not the boxes.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

ppatchmods

that would be the proper way to do it. it's in your best interest to use this method. we hillbillies seem to think more with our muscles than our brains!  ;D
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

shooter_mi

I had this problem just today with a 1590NS from PPP. I got a few turns in, met resistance, tried to force it, and broke the screw off.

Nitefly182

Oh and BTW this has happened with 6 straight enclosures and every single screw in the enclosure. I sent PPP an email to see if they have changed their processes since this didn't happen to enclosures I got 6 months ago. Just the last two or three batches.

mdh

Quote from: ppatchmods on May 15, 2009, 04:12:55 PM
that would be the proper way to do it. it's in your best interest to use this method. we hillbillies seem to think more with our muscles than our brains!  ;D

If you want to split the difference, you can buy the tap at Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply.

tiges_ tendres

Ive had this problem with a couple of 1590BB sized boxes too.  I'm not too worried myself, I'll just swing by a hardware store.

I still dont know anywhere you can get your powder coating done so well and so affordably!
Try a little tenderness.

trixdropd

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on May 15, 2009, 05:56:17 PM
Ive had this problem with a couple of 1590BB sized boxes too.  I'm not too worried myself, I'll just swing by a hardware store.

I still dont know anywhere you can get your powder coating done so well and so affordably!
+1

blanik

like the others, just use a tight fitting screwdriver and put a little elbow grease, the screw has to "dig" through some of the paint that got in the holes...  ;)

Nitefly182

Quote from: blanik on May 15, 2009, 11:14:55 PM
like the others, just use a tight fitting screwdriver and put a little elbow grease, the screw has to "dig" through some of the paint that got in the holes...  ;)

Forcing a screw through is only going to lead to breaking screws off or stripping the heads so they cant be moved at all. The last one I assembled took about 30-45 minutes to get the backplate on.

SonicVI

I haven't had any problems with the 4 or 5 I've bought.