Fuzzfactory + Stupidly Wonderfull tone control

Started by kupervaser, June 04, 2009, 04:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kupervaser

Has anyone tried to build a SWTC in the Fuzz Factory?

I built one and I have way too much high and to less of the low for my taste. So I tried to expand it with a tone control.
I used this one with the following values: R1=10k, R2=47k, and C1=0.022uF

So, I am very satisfied with the tone control, however the pedal behaves very different now. The sound is very gated even if the gate is set to 0.
This is bothering me.

Has anyone tried this and faced the same problem? Maybe I have to swam some parts in the SWTC but I have no idea which way to go.

zhx

Is the tone ctrl before or after the ff circuit? If you put a passive circuit like this before the ff, it probably lowers the input gain to the ff. The correct place would be after the ff.

kupervaser

Thanx, no I connected it after the corcuit, just before the volume. This is why it doesn't make sence to me.

anchovie

In an FF, isn't the volume pot a voltage divider in the path between a transistor's collector and ground? Therefore you can't add something to that path as it'll throw the bias of the transistor way off. The tone control would need to go after the output cap that comes off the volume pot.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

kupervaser

That would make sence.

But how can throw off the bias of the transistor when adding something to that path? I can't see that yet.

anchovie

I'm guessing you added the tone control between the 5K1 resistor and the volume pot? Doing that would massively alter the resistance between the transistor collector and ground so I can't see the tranny behaving like it normally would. Maybe I've termed it wrong calling it "bias", but it's certainly going to mess it up.

BTW, best to get rid of the link to the schematic. I think ZVex stuff is still on this forum's "banned for commercial reasons" list.

kupervaser

You are correct, i added the tonestack between the 5.1K and the volume potmeter.
OK i will put the tonestack bhind the volume, but from the swtc website:

The 100k tone pot and the 100k output volume are always in parallel as a constant load. A linear taper pot is suggested for the tone control and a log (audio) taper for the volume control.

If I put the tone stack after the volume the tone pot and the volume pot won't be in parallel anymore. Is this correct?

How can I remove the schematic from my previouse post?

knealebrown

''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

anchovie

Quote from: kupervaser on June 04, 2009, 07:50:11 AM
You are correct, i added the tonestack between the 5.1K and the volume potmeter.

The 100k tone pot and the 100k output volume are always in parallel as a constant load. A linear taper pot is suggested for the tone control and a log (audio) taper for the volume control.

If I put the tone stack after the volume the tone pot and the volume pot won't be in parallel anymore. Is this correct?

Add it after the 10uF cap and use a 100k resistor instead of the volume pot. This will also replace the 220k resistor on the FF output.

Oops...looks like you've missed the time window in which you can edit your post. I think an apologetic PM to Aron might be your best bet...

kupervaser

Quote from: anchovie on June 04, 2009, 09:30:44 AM
Quote from: kupervaser on June 04, 2009, 07:50:11 AM

Add it after the 10uF cap and use a 100k resistor instead of the volume pot. This will also replace the 220k resistor on the FF output.

Oops...looks like you've missed the time window in which you can edit your post. I think an apologetic PM to Aron might be your best bet...

I need to replace the volume potmeter from the SWTC diagram by the 100k resistor?
ANd simply leave the 220k original resistor out?

I will PM Aron

anchovie

Yep, that should do it. That'll make the output a full-volume SWTC and the FF volume control will feed it.

kupervaser

Got it, awesome thanx.

I will post my results as soon as i do this!

MikeH

Quote from: knealebrown on June 04, 2009, 09:20:28 AM
uh oh someones been a naughty boy  ;)

Eh, we've all seen it before. 

They'll probably only ban you for a year  ;)
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Lurco

kupervaser

That would just suck!

I wrote a message to Aron, I hope i may stay!

Processaurus

Hello, you can leave off the 100K resistor subbing as the SWTC volume potentiometer without any problems, and get a bit more volume.

I put the Hammer's SWTC in my FF clone and liked it, I'll see if I can find my notes on what all I did, but in addition to the SWTC there are a couple switches, one switches in a smaller cap between the input and output, across R1 and R2 (puretube's idea originally, I believe) to let the highs through, and make the SWTC a mid notch control, which is great for getting a fizzy fuzz.

The other switch was a 3 position switch that messed with the output cap of the FF, one cap was (10uF or something) to let all the bass through, one was smaller to cut some of the bass and have a kinda 70's sound, more midrange, and the last position switched out the bigger caps and switched in a small cap directly to the output, so it cuts all the bass but bypasses the SWTC (to get more volume and a super tinny, thin sound).

Processaurus

Oops, I used the original SWTC for those mods with the switches, looks different from your schematic:
http://hammer.ampage.org/files/SWTC.gif

kupervaser

Hey man, well what I am trying to achieve is to have a tone control, to cut off a but of the high freq and I want more bas in my fuzz factory, It doesn't really matter how I can achieve it.

What can you advise me?

ode2no1

adding a tone control will only roll off the highs, so if you want to add more low end just raise the output cap a bit. or you could change both input and output to 22uF.

MikeH

A 3way toggle on/off/on with 3 cap values, say .001uf, .01uf and 10uf will give you 3 different bass settings, and then you can roll off treble with a simple low pass (typical pot + cap to ground setup)
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH