reversing big muff jacks

Started by umcoo, June 06, 2009, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

umcoo

Hi all, the input and output jacks on my big muff are 'reversed' from standard and I'm wanting to put them correct.  Is it possible for me to just remove the current jacks, and put wires from the pcb to new jacks going to the other side of the pedal?

fuzzo

You mean like on Fuzz face Dunlop (red one) with input jack on the left ?

Why don't just move them ? if the wires are short, change them for longer ones .

But maybe you've the SMD big muff ? I never see a big muff with "reversed " jacks ???

umcoo

yes, input's on the left.  It's a sovtek russian muff and has pcb mounted jacks

theehman

Quote from: umcoo on June 06, 2009, 04:37:54 PM
yes, input's on the left.  It's a sovtek russian muff and has pcb mounted jacks

I would leave the jacks soldered in and cut the traces to the pads then send them to the corresponding pads on the other jack w/ wires.  It'll look a bit messy but will do the trick.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

JasonG

I have not touched a russian big muff in a while but if I remember correctly you can just flip the board over and add some insolation between the pots and boards. Don't don't forget to re label the jacks. I think you will have to add some wire to a few connections too.
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

Tony Forestiere

Is it causing a problem? No. Just enjoy it for the unique item it is. 
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

Br4d13y

just flip the board over, the jacks are both the same distance from the top and bottom, so in theory, flipping it over would switch it
freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

bumblebee

Flipping it solves the problem, no desoldering needed. You may need tape on the solder side of the PCB to stop it grounding out on the enclosure though but if its a new sovtek you will not need do anything but flip the PCB.