Etchant in Canada....

Started by MarkR2955, June 10, 2009, 08:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkR2955

Every place I find PCB etchant will not export it. Is there somewhere I can order this in Canada?
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

MarkR2955

Just found a place - if anyone is looking, an ebay store has a powder based etchant:  http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Digole-Digital-Solution
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

The Tone God

Where are you located ? You can try to find a dealer that carries MG Chemicals.

Andrew

liddokun

If you're located in Toronto, active surplus carries ferric chloride. It's 20 bucks for a litre.
To those about to rock, we salute you.

biggy boy

If you live in Ontario
Sayal sells it.
www.sayal.com

Or you can make your own from muriatic /Hydrocloric acid, You can get it from Canadian Tire.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Stop-using-Ferric-Chloride-etchant!--A-better-etc/   

Mark Hammer

...and believe it or not, some Source by Circuit City (i.e., formerly Radio Shack) outlets sell it too.

davent

Quote from: MarkR2955 on June 10, 2009, 08:31:18 PM
Every place I find PCB etchant will not export it. Is there somewhere I can order this in Canada?

Even if you do find ferric chloride for shipping in Canada you probably get stung with a hazard materials handling charge that is more then the etchant.

I can get ferric chloride locally at quite a number of places but have switched to using the Muratic acid/hydrogen peroxide etchant linked earlier. A trip to Shoppers, Canadian Tire or any hardware store and then the dollar store for a plastic tub and you'll have etchant for dozens and dozens of boards for under $10.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

MarkR2955

The Muratic acid/hydrogen peroxide sounds great - cheap and easy...i like it!

Thanks for the info guys!

Mr. G.

I can tell you where to get some if you're on the east coast (specifically in the HRM).

MarkR2955

In Ontario actually...I found it at Home Hardware and Shoppers Drug Mart...Nice and cheap. I think I spent $15 or so for WAY more than I need! Trying it the weekend (I hope).

Does anyone have any suggestions to convince my wife these chemicals are a good idea? She's worried about the baby...I figure the obvious safety should be fine.

frank_p

Murriatic is very corrosive.  Don't tell it to your wife. But, yes put it in a very safe place.  Handle with care.

biggy boy

Use it outside and store it in the garage. Mark the mixed jug!! After your done etching with the chemical, pour it back into the mix you made. You can use it over and over again.
Each time I use it, I'll pour some of the mix into the container I'm etching in. Then I will add an equivalent amount of peroxide do the etch and then pour it back into the mix for next time.
When the mix is new I found it smelled and fumed a lot.
After about four or more uses the mix doesn't put off any more smelly gasses, you can hardly smell it.

Let us know how it works out.

Glen