News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

My dads DIY fuzz

Started by pinball_w1zard, June 30, 2009, 12:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinball_w1zard

Hey all, this is a pedal my dad made when he was 18,
i was wondering if anybody could tell by looking at it what its based off (if anything at all) or any other info about it?
it sounds awesome btw.

cheers

Vaum

doitle

If Vaum was serious, wow that's impressive!

If not, I think we need to see the bottom to make a guess.

SonicVI

Metal can opamp and a pair of diodes screams Distortion +.

petemoore

Looks Snazzy ! Excellent work, a joy to check out !
  I see four of the same value resistor?
  Three are sorta upright on the left, one on horizontal in the middle of the board on the left. No matter, I'm not sure I'm reading the code correctly.
  I would connect the dots, see what it is, perhaps build another.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

pinball_w1zard

thanks guys...
is there anything wrong with four of the same value resistors? (i am new to electronics and diy pedals) ill upload a picture of the other side soo

cheers ;D

Vaum

Ice-9

I have to agree with Vaum, it looks like a direct clone of a distortion+ with metal cam 8 pin opamp, never seen those opamps for such a long time.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

newfish

...nothing wrong with 4 identical components in a build - if that's what's asked for.

Think of it as ordering four identical pints in your local.  It's just what's needed...  :icon_razz:
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

doitle

That's what those are? We've got literally entire chests full of those. I always wondered because they look like transistors but have way too many pins.

petemoore

Yer learnin' something every day roun' 'ere !
  Regular DIST+ Type has 1meg R's x4, two for the V-divider, one each for input and output pulldowns.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Der Groovemeister

I just couldn't resist posting this picture. It's almost art! ;D
http://www.pedalarea.com/images/mxr_distortion_script_board.jpg
It's a great site btw.
"What do you mean, dynamics? I'm already playing as loud as i can!"

Top Top

I have a plastic bag full of those metal can opamps... they are just a couple of transistors in a single package, right? I picked them up at a clearance of a business a while ago... never really thought much about building anything with them.

slacker

Quote from: Top Top on June 30, 2009, 01:33:16 PM
I have a plastic bag full of those metal can opamps... they are just a couple of transistors in a single package, right?

You can get a whole bunch of stuff in metal can packages including things that are just a couple of transistors in a single package, but they're not opamps.
A metal can opamp is the same internally as a normal opamp, it's just in a metal can rather than the normal black plastic DIP8 package.
You need to look at the part numbers to see what you've actually got, might be something interesting.

Harry

Quote from: pinball_w1zard on June 30, 2009, 02:40:03 AM
thanks guys...
is there anything wrong with four of the same value resistors? (i am new to electronics and diy pedals) ill upload a picture of the other side soo

cheers ;D
And the face of the pedal too! when did he make it?

pinball_w1zard

he was about 18 when he made it so i am guessing early to mid seventies   ???

Joe Hart

I wish my dad was that cool!  Is the "RF" logo etched?
-Joe Hart

pinball_w1zard

he is pretty cool, he also helped me mod my fab echo. its not etched. it looks hand drawn i don't know if he made some sort of transfer or drew straight on it. he wanted to be a architect so i think he drew it with so sort of special pen

Harry

Thanks for sharing this. I like seeing the older diy projects.

Quote from: pinball_w1zard on July 01, 2009, 09:34:17 AM
he wanted to be a architect so i think he drew it with so sort of special pen
Art Vandelay-complex?  :)