SE4010 Big muff transistors

Started by El Heisenberg, July 04, 2009, 08:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Heisenberg

I bought 4 of these thinkin they might
improve my big muff triangle clone. Right now the buffers are MPSA13 and the two in the drive chain are 1N5133. Would replacing then all or just the buffers or dist. Circuit do much improvent? My biuld isnt socketed so i dont wamnt fo try em out.

Ive used one of them already breadboarding the shinnei companion fizz. I settled on 2N5133 for Q1 and SE4010 for Q2.

Whats the deal with these trannies?
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

petemoore

High gain / low noise, I think the ones you have in there are good for that, measure the Hfe on some outside the circuit to get a ballpark idea, or research it.
  2n5088 is a good standard/example of HG/LN type, certainly not the only part# that works well.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Nitefly182

I think 2n3565 is a better choice if you want a button-type transistor. Those SE4010 aren't super gainy and probably wont saturate very well in a big muff.

El Heisenberg

Oops, i meant i used MPSA18s for the buffers

on thr smallbear site it said they were for big muffs. I bought four em. But i like
my triangle muff. It has a tone bypass mod too. I read MPSA18 and 2N5133 are the best for muffs.

Im not sure i want the SE4010 in the Shin Ei. It doesnt sound good with 2N4011s or 2N3904s. Anyone built the Shin Ei companion fuzz? Im not sure i got it workin right

petemoore

I built an FZ-1.
  Not sure I liked it either, probably didn't fiddle with the transistors enough.
  But that bias is pretty much 'over the edge'...imo...
  And Gus suggested I try a [quite similar] Foxey Lady:
  I pretty easily converted to the FZ to the FL by adding a 1 meg to each 1meg [bringing them close to the 470k collector R's in the FL], and added the 47k to ground from there.
  The emitter  pin was bent up [across the transistor body], and then the emitter resistor tied/soldered right to the emitter, just long enough to stuff back down into the socket. If you didn't use a socket you can probably just clip 'n splice the emitter resistor in there.
  I preferred the wire it up 'n go and behaviour of the FL.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Nitefly182

Quote from: El Heisenberg on July 05, 2009, 05:23:11 AM
Oops, i meant i used MPSA18s for the buffers

on thr smallbear site it said they were for big muffs. I bought four em. But i like
my triangle muff. It has a tone bypass mod too. I read MPSA18 and 2N5133 are the best for muffs.

Im not sure i want the SE4010 in the Shin Ei. It doesnt sound good with 2N4011s or 2N3904s. Anyone built the Shin Ei companion fuzz? Im not sure i got it workin right

I think it just says that on the SBE site because people want a transistor that looks like a 2N5133.

El Heisenberg

Nitefly182

Quote from: El Heisenberg on July 05, 2009, 09:08:52 PM
But they sell old 5133s

Which are extremely low gain and not really fit for making a Big Muff so he got a higher gain transistor in a TO106 package for people to try. Even those are pretty weak at 140hfe.

El Heisenberg

I measured em at 330 and even 400.

I got the shin ei to work with two 2n5133s. I had to change the 22k resistor on Q2 to 15k to get the voltages on the GGG pdf. It sounded different combos of 5089s 5133s se4010s and 3904s even 2222s. One of the combos gave be 4.5 on each collector. But the two low gain(100) 5133s gave the tone control more of a presence. Not as craY as the other ones tho.

So really my muff witj mpsa18s and 5133s is as good as it gets?

El Heisenberg

I just built the foxy lady by EH it uses two 5133s but BLEH! It was farty! Both collectors measured
4.5v. Bleah. Shine ei is cool but its real dark.

El Heisenberg

Instead of a 5k pot im gunna use a switch to switch between stock and a fixed reaistor between the .1 cap. I think 2k7. Should be finished tomorrow.