Diezel help, no sound

Started by caspercody, July 05, 2009, 06:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caspercody

I just made the Diezel using the pcb from this link;

http://www.techniguitare.com/projets/DieFet/Notice-DieFET-V1-21.pdf

I get no sound when I hit the bypass switch, but clean sound when it is bypassed. I am able to adjust the voltages on the J201, but on Q4 I have around 7v at the drain and adjusting the pot does nothing. I am using a 9v battery.

I made a audio tester, and have sound up to R2 but on the other side of R2 (the side going to Q1) I have no sound. I replaced the resistor but no difference.

Thanks

caspercody

Okay, I got it to work. All the J201's are backwards from the psb layout, and I had a short between the gate and source on Q5.

But it is not that loud. It is loud coming out of Q5 source pin. Than it goes into the tone stack, and at the treble center lug it is quiter.

Should this be louder thru out the stages? I have to have the level cranked to be at the same level as when bypassed.

breather-resistor

Hey man,

Make sure your pinouts line up with the schematic.  The signal is louder at the Q because the tone stack is passive.  There in, it can only cut levels at selected frequency.  Hopefully, you should be able to get full level by maximizing the setting on all EQs.  If you really love the tone at Q then you might consider omitting the tone stack all together or you might think about using many other passive tone stacks.

b

caspercody

That makes sense that the output is quiter coming out of the tone stack than when it came in.

But, I still have to have the drive volume at 100 to get the distorted level at the same level as well it is bypassed. I replaced the IC to see if this was an issue, no change. I tried replacing the volume, and tonestack pots no change. Before I start to replace every part, question is should this boost the signal? For those that have built does yours get loud? Can I get some voltage readings from various parts? I think I am good coming out of Q5 (point A on the schematic), but after R17 and C21 the signal gets quieter.

Also, I did not hook up the J2-J5 on the pcb layout. I am not sure what these are for, but it looks like this would connect the drains to ground. The schmatic shows a block diagram, and labels the wires as AJ-**. Maybe a audio jack output from each drain???