Manual Phase - Questions

Started by aziltz, July 16, 2009, 11:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

I'm looking for a manual phase sound, in a simple 1-knob configuration where you can set a fixed position in the sweep and leave it there.

Other than the EH Worm, I haven't seen this before.  Does anyone know how one might adapt some of the simple or well-known phaser to this configuration?

My search came up with the ROG Phozer, which seems to have a lot of unique control, but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

Suggestions?

jacobyjd

I'd be interested in something like this as well, but with the addition of a resonance control that would allow it to get more wah-like if desired.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

daverdave

Basically you need to disconnect the lfo from the phase stages and add a pot as a voltage divider depending on the pedal you want to use. I did this recently with the ross phaser, I had a 10k resistor coming from +9v going to the 3rd lug of a 100k pot, then the 1st lug of the pot connected to ground through a 20k resistor and finally, the 2nd lug of the pot to the phase stages.

It sounded fine with my ross phaser, you might have to mess with the values to use with other phasers, hope this helps.

aziltz

I'm gonna guess that the Worm is probably similar to the EH Bad Stone, which also had a manual mod.  I've found a schematic, and I'm gonna make a "manual only" version and repost.

Mark Hammer

There was a simply circuit from Marvin Jones, I think, that was published in POLYPHONY in 1978.  I was pretty sure I posted it, but I couldn't tell you where.  I may have simply scanned it and sent it to somewhat who asked for it.  IN any even, it was in an article called "To Phase or to Flange".  It was based on MPF102 JFETs as the control element.

Actually, on most JFET-based phasers, the bias control can pretty much be used as a manual phase sweep, but you need to disconnect the LFO, as noted already.  Also note that the bias control usually covers a much wider range than is actually usable, such that making it a foot-operated control would necessitate identifying what part of the pot's range is effective and dickering around with a smalled pot value and added fixed resistors.  For example, the 250k bias trimpot on the Phase 90 might be replaced with a 100k pot with an 82k fixed resistor on one end and a 68k fixed resistor on the other.

wavley

The old Morley Pro Phase and Pro Flange had a rocker pedal that you could adjust the rate or switch and adjust a fixed phase like a wah pedal.

I have a pro flange, it is by far my favorite flanger that I use and I leave it in a fixed position all the time.

http://www.morleypedals.com/downloads2.html
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

aziltz

Thanks for the insights. I'll see where I get with it. 

oliphaunt

Quote from: aziltz on September 25, 2009, 01:18:40 AM
I'm gonna guess that the Worm is probably similar to the EH Bad Stone, which also had a manual mod.  I've found a schematic, and I'm gonna make a "manual only" version and repost.

I have two Bad Stones and absolutely love them, I think it's the best phaser out there.  I've always wanted to build a modded one with the manual sweep controlled by a footpedal.  I will watch to see how this project comes together.