super tiny shielded wire?

Started by Rodgre, July 29, 2009, 07:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

I am repairing a gooseneck microphone and I need a length of really tiny diameter shielded wire and I'm not sure where to look. Any ideas? I need about 2' of it.

Thanks.

Roger

Ripthorn

Smallest I have found is RG174 (I think that's the number, might be RG74, can't remember right now).  Just small single conductor coax.  If there is even smaller, I am interested.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

R.G.

RG174 is the most available high quality one I know of. I have seen even tinier shielded wire inside some Japanese effects pedals, but I shudder to think of trying to connect them up.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

Consider the cables that typically connect an internal DVD/CD drive and your sound card.  I don't know if it is "super tiny", but it is significantly narrower gauge than microphone cable.  It also generally comes with several conductors as well as an outside shield, so you can run a balanced pair if you want.

head_spaz

Lately I've been using shielded cable cut from a standard RCA phono cord.

I bought some RCA cables from All Electronics that are made of very high quality stranded copper wire, not foil or that ratshack copper-dusted-string sh*te.
The RCA cable is black and is only 0.110" diameter. The copper strand they use is exceptionally clean and solders very easily, which helps to prevent the insulation from melting.

I wish I had discovered this stuff earlier, because I've had lots of trouble finding good quality shielded cable, especially in small diameters like this.

I strongly dislike working with RG-174 because the inner insulator is melted/fused to the foil shield, and it's a B!TCH to work with if you're trying to solder it rather than using their special tools and connectors. Also RG-174 is larger in diameter (0.150), and is NOT nearly as flexible as the RCA cable.

Standard DVD/CDROM audio interface cables are pretty nice too, if you need two inner conductors that are not individually shielded. They have a diameter of 0.114". I'm using them in my guitar right now until I find a four conductor equivalent.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

JasonG

Have you checked a site that would have parts for a turn table? Some of them have special wire made for the tone arm.
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

Mark Hammer

Quote from: JasonG on July 30, 2009, 08:52:03 AM
Have you checked a site that would have parts for a turn table? Some of them have special wire made for the tone arm.
Not a bad suggestion as far as gauge goes, but turntables generally assume that the tone arm itself (being metal) provides the shielding, so the wires themselves are not shielded.