diy device to increase 9v to 12v??

Started by jamiefbolton, July 29, 2009, 11:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefbolton

So I want to use my 12v pedals and not use the wall warts. i've seen things such as the Godlyke Power Pump which increases up to 18v.  the PP is really small so it can't be too difficult i wouldn't think. anybody know how to do this as DIY?

jamie

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

JKowalski

Look up "Charge Pumps". They are basically one-chip DC to DC converters.

Here is an example:

http://www.spezial.com/doc/maxim/icl7660-max1044.pdf

Go down to the circuit examples, figure 9. The charge pump will give you twice the input voltage, minus two diode drops. Use this simple circuit, plus a 12V three terminal regulator and you are set.

Charge pumps often introduce high frequency noise into your power supply, but since:

A: The charge pump will be far removed from the pedal
B: The regulator will help
C: You can add simple filtering if it is noticable
D: Many pumps are designed to use frequencies above the range of hearing

That shouldn't be a problem.

The chip that I suggested was just the only one I had off the top of my head, there are many more, perhaps better quality then the 1044. Take a look around.

Ah, someone beat me to it. Hopefully I have some useful info in my post too  :icon_lol:

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

earthtonesaudio

There are some DIY switching power supplies floating around the internet, most use 555's.  Usually you can adjust one component to get the output voltage you want.
They're more complex, but higher current capability compared to charge pumps.

jamiefbolton

I've been reading the stuff you guys posted. Here is the actual senario.

I'm using the GigRig Generator to power everything. But I have two TC Nova pedals.  I've heard they require 400ma to startup and 300ma to operate. This is true to my knowledge.I can't use both on my Godlyke Power Pump. The PP only supplies up to 500ma.??? Anyway. I'll need I guess two of these capable of atleast 400ma.

The stuff so far will not produce 400ma.??? But, I'm new to this so I'll need some step by step help.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate your help.

Jamie

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on July 30, 2009, 01:50:18 PM
There are some DIY switching power supplies floating around the internet, most use 555's.  Usually you can adjust one component to get the output voltage you want.
They're more complex, but higher current capability compared to charge pumps.

Charge pumps are typically used for low current/high voltage apps.  Flyback, forward, buck, or buck/boost converters are typically used at modest voltages where more current is needed.

brett

Hi
for such high current consumption, you'd be best off getting a dedicated wall-wart. 
If $$ are an issue, catch a bus or walk to the local charity shop and you should get one for less than $5.  I mostly get them for $1.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)