Newbie Project Help

Started by humptydumpty, July 30, 2009, 04:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humptydumpty

Well here is my first shot at making my own pedal.  Probably completely wrong, but bear with me.

Black lines are jumpers.  Between the two sets is a SPDT switch, choosing either or, and between pins 1 and 8 before the cap is a SPST switch.  Do I have the clipping setup correctly, and how do I add a gain control for either of the two diode clippings, and an overall volume control?

I just noticed an error with the two sets of diodes, to the best of my knowledge choosing either or will still result in both sets clipping because of how the traces are, I think I fixed it, but I'm tired, so tomorrow I will post the updated layout, but any suggestions would help.

BTW, the to and from are to a pot.

petemoore

Do I have the clipping setup correctly,
  All I can say is compare it with the schematic, I have trouble following signal paths through layouts.
and how do I add a gain control for either of the two diode clippings, put a pot at one end of the diodes [splice it right there] or take a look at AMZ Labs Notebook and have a go at a different arrangement.
  and an overall volume control?
  Take a look at any schematic with a final volume control for a distorter pedal, if it's an amp circuit, you may want/have to place the volume control before teh 386:
  outside lug to Gnd.
  Wiper is the output.
  Outside lug to Signal path
  Turn the shaft all the way down, imagine the knob pointer points to the lug there...connect that one to Gnd. This makes turning up the volume a CW affair.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bbmonster

You could probably get rid of the jumpers if you rearranged the traces a bit. ie. swap the position of your In and 9V trace. Place that 1uf connecting to pin 5 vertically between the chips and diodes or higher up horizontally above the diodes. That jumper between the two LEDs not really needed because you can just connect that track to the other track directly.