Carl Martin Surf Trem not true bypass

Started by Der Groovemeister, August 08, 2009, 07:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Der Groovemeister

I just got a Carl Martin Surf Trem and i like the sound very much when it's on. When it's off it sucks tone! Not true bypass :icon_frown:

It appears to have a DPDT switch with 5 wires connected. Does anybody know how i could make it True Bypass?

Thanks in advance.

"What do you mean, dynamics? I'm already playing as loud as i can!"

GibsonGM

If you can post a pic, and identify which are the input and output wires, that would help to come up with a bypass plan for ya....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Rutger

Sounds strange to me. I owned several CM's and none of them are TB, never had problems with tonesuck.

bagudan

I have a CM DeLayla, and I think the buffered bypass sounds good???

newfish

Why not leave your pedal as stock and build a TB looper?  Handy piece of kit in its own right.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

Der Groovemeister

I just emailed Carl Martin himself  ;) and they sent me the schematic! Isn't that cool! ;D Super service!!!
I will try to figure it out myself with the schemo. If I succeeded I will let you know.
I've thought about a TB looper, but that takes more space on my pedalboard and the Surf Trem is pretty big already. I'll reserve that option only for vintage pedals.

Thanks for the replies.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Der Groovemeister on August 10, 2009, 02:17:35 PM
I just emailed Carl Martin himself  ;) and they sent me the schematic! Isn't that cool! ;D Super service!!!
I will try to figure it out myself with the schemo. If I succeeded I will let you know.
I've thought about a TB looper, but that takes more space on my pedalboard and the Surf Trem is pretty big already. I'll reserve that option only for vintage pedals.

Thanks for the replies.

Wow, that's a bit unusual for a mfr. to send out a schematic so freely like that.

Der Groovemeister

I told them that the Surf Trem sucked tone and if they knew how to make ik true bypass and they sent me the schematic to try it. Just like that.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Der Groovemeister on August 10, 2009, 03:31:08 PM
I told them that the Surf Trem sucked tone and if they knew how to make ik true bypass and they sent me the schematic to try it. Just like that.

Well, in any case, that's cool of them to do that.