relic finished pedals!

Started by JisforJustin, August 13, 2009, 11:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JisforJustin

Has anyone seen the relic finished Sansamp:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/classic.html

Here's a quote from the page, "The exterior design is taken from an actual "vintage" SansAmp pedal used on a world tour by a reknowned artist."

It's kind of a cool idea and I know people here have done similar things, but what do you think, should pedals come pre-worn, or should they get busted up naturally over time?

Also, if you have any relic finished pedal pics, post 'em!

earthtonesaudio

I just wear ice skates when I play (really, who doesn't?).  That relic's 'em up quick.

JisforJustin

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on August 13, 2009, 11:37:26 AM
I just wear ice skates when I play (really, who doesn't?).  That relic's 'em up quick.

That's got to be the best way!

Seriously though, I remember seeing an awesome orange scrambler clone in the pics thread that looked awesome. Not too relicy (that's probably not a word), but had a cool rough-looking paint job. I tried to find it in the pics thread, but I think it's long gone by now.

mr.adambeck

I don't know...

I've never seen pedals done this way, though it's a big thing on guitars now.  To be honest, I just don't get the point.  It seems really silly to me to try and make your pedal/guitar look beaten up and old when it's not.  I really want to know what these will all look like in thirty years, when they've got actual wear of their own!  The combo is going to make it look like it was fished out of a dumpster at the bottom of the sea!

earthtonesaudio

Ell

I prefer the look of a brand new, sparkling pedal to a beaten up ugly old box any day. Most of the time the ugly old box costs a fortune and sounds like a monster, but I'd take a new looking enclosure or guitar over a deliberately bad looking enclosure or guitar any day.

GREEN FUZ

So if you take one of these relic`d pedals and use it till it is genuinely worn, would that add to or detract from its value?

JisforJustin

I think the idea is basically that you've got 2 pedals, they both work like new, one looks like it's got some stories to tell, the other looks like it's never been played, they both come with the same warranty, etc. Which one would you pick?

Honestly I've never been a fan of reliced stuff, but I do like old gear that at least looks like it's been around the block.

I really don't think it's that much different than flashy graphics on a pedal, etc. Ultimately, it should all be about tone, not looks, but "cool" looking gear seems to sell better.

ps- no pics anybody?

frequencycentral

When I was spraying pedals I achieved such a high standard that my pedals looked relic'd within a few weeks.  :icon_sad:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

chilecocula

in conservative stompboxes, tone is neither created nor destroyed, but transformed

panterafanatic

i'd rather have a stompbox that has stories to tell rather than one that looks like its got stories to tell. same thing with guitars just pointless imo.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

ayayay!

Pet Rocks, Pump-up shoes, Neon Ford Probes, Grunge, Starbucks, Facebook, Relic'ing, Next...
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: ayayay! on August 13, 2009, 03:11:39 PM
...Neon Ford Probes...

Aaaahhww!!! I love those cars...future classic.

JasonG

In one interview the owner of Tech21 pointed out a sansamp that one of the replacement lead guitarist for KISS traded in for a clean modal. I bet it's patterned after his. I wouldn't buy it.
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

JisforJustin

Quote from: JasonG on August 13, 2009, 04:19:09 PM
In one interview the owner of Tech21 pointed out a sansamp that one of the replacement lead guitarist for KISS traded in for a clean modal. I bet it's patterned after his. I wouldn't buy it.

Yeah, it's interesting that they say "renowned artist," but then don't say who it is. Must not be that "renowned." Oh, and they spelled renowned wrong.

sean k

I suppose the thing is that if it looks like its been used alot then it's a good pedal that is loved by someone. That can only be acheived by buying something new, or building it yourself, and going through those motions. Thats what gives patina its validity.

Adding it afterwards is what we do to enable the lost to think they can get quickly that which only comes by serving time, time doing that which you love, is loved and creates love.

Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Ibanezfoo

Seems like cheating to me.  Making it look road worn and used when it hasn't been earned... No thanks, I live in "the o.c." and 98% of people around here are fake.  I just can't take the phoniness.

But whatever floats your boat I guess....  Probably be cool if you are making a movie prop.

Nasse

So this summer I have used a Behringer sansamp copy as a wedge, to keep upstairs bedroom window open (it is quite hot in Finland in summertime), perhaps it will collect some mojo value and antique patina!
  • SUPPORTER

MikeH

I think that this is just as dumb as those pre-relic'd guitars that fender sold.  Honestly; why?  Why? Why?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

jacobyjd

Quote from: MikeH on August 14, 2009, 01:24:09 PM
I think that this is just as dumb as those pre-relic'd guitars that fender sold.  Honestly; why?  Why? Why?

I can't imagine what kind of tool you'd have to be to wear a relic'd guitar onstage. It's asinine to buy one, but has anyone seen a musician use one live?

Seems like another trick to get basement-dweller musicians to buy expensive guitars.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net