News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Les Paul

Started by head_spaz, August 13, 2009, 01:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

head_spaz

Les Paul died today.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

dschwartz

yes i read the news..
i donĀ“t know why i feel really sad about it, maybe because he was an inspiration to all of us.
or maybe because he seemed to be such a good guy, tha gave so much for the music world..

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

spaceace76

One of the original DIY'ers. The world would not be what it is today without his contributions and wonderful work.

Rest in Peace, Les.

Ben N

Oh, wow. Well, he certainly lived a full and productive life, doing the things that he wanted to do right to the end. There's a lot to celebrate in that.
  • SUPPORTER

Joep

That's definitely sad news.... RIP

WGTP

I hope I'm still jamming when I'm his age... :icon_wink:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

WhenBoredomPeaks

R.I.P

I think Paul invented almost everything.

Im not gonna lie, i think i saw him sweep picking in one of his ancient videos.

JasonG

" I think i saw him sweep picking in one of his ancient videos."
Your right he was doing sweep picking back in the 30's. It was the only way he could play those Eddie Lang licks. Django used what was then called rake picking too. I can only imagine how many things Les saw rediscovered. 
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

bluesdevil

R.I.P. grandpappy of D.I.Y.. :icon_sad: I will break out the ol' '69 Les Paul Custom in your honor tonight.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Quackzed

sad :-\
a true visionary.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Johnny85

There'll never be another Les Paul.  What a genius, it's sad that he's gone, but I think Ben N's post above sums it up - he lived the way people ought to live, doing what he loved and helping uncountable numbers of people play the music they love too.  I'm thankful that folk like him exist.

Pedal love

It can't be! It can't be! Rest in peace kind sir. :icon_smile:

bluesdevil

There's another Les Paul thread in the lounge. Maybe Aron could merge this one to it?
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

newfish

R.I.P. Les.

An absolute legend of DIY tinkering.

Invented Multi-tracking, pioneer of electric guitars, electronic music, even those little play / stop / FF / RW symbols on hi-fi equipment (or so I'm told).

...and at 94, the man had a decent innings.

Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

Rawkgod

I heard that he invented multi-track recording. Man was a genius
Quote from: bioroids
Lol I think the only thing the Coca Cola doesn't do well is to relieve thirst!

Toney

Yeah...

Thanks, Les Paul...
My all time favorite two guitars are directly connected to this man.
My Junior, which I play most often these days, and my Ibanez Les Paul. It just sings.
I admire your innovative spirit and your skill as a player.
Thanks, Les Paul.

StephenGiles

I have an 87 reissue double cut away Junior, you're right that they sing.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

burdt

HUBRIS

Quackzed

i remember seeing the "les paul tribute" show, back in the late 80's. Maybee i'll try and find it online. yeah, les paul had all these recorders that he would record 'live loops' onto. he'd do a rythem track, loop it and then lay over another part.. and so on. he was like the original audio gear modifier. if i remember correctly he did a demonstration during the tribute showing his original gear, and how he used it to do multitrack recordings. look up" the log" -a prototype solid body guitar -the first, although regected as a comercial product. Its too bad that this will probably spark lots of wikipedia searches and a criminal underestimation of the mans true contributions to the origin of the solid body electric guitar. the truth is often blurred in time.
people will read that his contributions were minor and mostly cosmetic.
this is pure bullshit.
hopefully in time he will be aknowledged as the inventor and originator of the solid body electric guitar.
which he is.
and from the first, the les paul production guitar was a masterpiece and has more than stood the test of time. It has remained a cornerstone of tone and playability, style and function.
Les Paul invented the solid body electric guitar. concieved, created, tested, etc. and alongside the gibson company, in order to accomodate mass production processes, and with contributions from others involved with gibson, refined into what is the gibson "les paul" model.
Every time you slam a power chord and bask in the power and sustain of the sound, say a small thanks to Lester Paul.

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Naz Nomad

... riding a Lissajous curve to oblivion.