Recommended Books or Electronics Courses for Beginners?

Started by Rane, August 22, 2009, 08:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rane

Hi,

I'm looking for a good book on beginning electronics.  I'd like something that gets pretty in-depth, but covers all the basics as well.  I'm definitely a beginner...  my only accomplishments include an unexciting LED circuit and wiring for a guitar.  I can read schematics in basic form and feel pretty confident that I wouldn't have problem building a basic distortion circuit, however, building something that I don't understand in the first place isn't that exciting to me... I have to know how it works. 

I saw that someone recommended Microelectronics by sedra and smith, which seems to be used in a lot of college courses.  Anyone know anything about that one?

I'm not looking for anything easy; I don't mind being in a little over my head, however I don't want a book that leaves me to have to 'fill in the gaps.'  I'd like to get to the point where I might be able to put a book like this to use: Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass

Any help is very much appreciated...  And if you have any suggestions or wisdom to impart regarding circuit building (or the learning thereof), I'm all ears.

Thanks,

-Sean 

mth5044

Not exactly an electronics book in the sense I think you are talking about, but definitly a fantastic read for circuit building. Can't build a circuit without a layout  :)

Written by our very own R.G. Keen and distributed by our very own Steve from SB  ;)

EDIT: forgot link, duh

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=679

thats the back cover, btw.

captntasty

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Scruffie

This may sound obvious... but did you see the DIY FAQ at the top? And GeoFex?

Electron Tornado

This book is useful: "The Beginner's Handbook of Electronics"  by George H. Olsen, revised by Forrest Mims, III

Here is a link to some books in pdf format:  http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media_index.php?cat=6&subcat=54&start=0

Try this link to some U.S. Navy electronics training material:  http://jacquesricher.com/NEETS/

There are more and more web sites geared toward electronics education. Google is your friend.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

Ibanezfoo

Some of those little electronics labs you get at radio shack (sorry, "the shack") or Frys are actually pretty decent.  They are mostly for kids but the better ones explain schematics and electronic theory and math plus give you hands on to see what components do what and explain whys and hows.  Then get a breadboard so you can expand on that knowledge.  I'm still learning too.

Rane

Thanks for all your suggestions.

captntasty:
  Thanks, I think I'm going to get The Art of Electronics along with its student manual.  Someone on another forum said that it's not as in-depth as Microelectronics, which I was also considering, but more practical.  Might it be beneficial to get both?

Quote from: Scruffie
This may sound obvious... but did you see the DIY FAQ at the top? And GeoFex?

Yes, I've found my way to both. ... I just decided that I'd like a more formal source of information this time; I've done lot of projects and learning based solely on online resources, and, while largely effective, I sometimes wonder if it could help to have a more solid and less erratic foundation.  Plus I'm finishing up some of my high school credits, and this counts as an elective.  My charter school lets me pick my own books; for once I'm learning something I want to from a source that'll actually teach me something.  :D

Quote from: Electron Tornado
Google is your friend.

Believe me, we're well acquainted...  I sometimes worry that I've worn out my welcome.  :)  I learned basically everything from when I was doing web design with Google's help, and now just about everything I know related to music is probably also Google's fault.  I only ask questions when I've already done a lot of research and just looking to fill in final questions or gaps.  I just decided I wanted a book this time.  In addition to the reasons above, my eyes will thank me.

And thanks for the links, I'll probably be needing them... along with Google.  ;)

Ibanezfoo:
  Thanks!  If I find one that looks interesting, I'll consider it. 

_