Recommend me a fuzz please.

Started by makaze808, August 23, 2009, 07:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makaze808

Hi, I'm looking for a fuzz beyond the fuzz face, not sure what I want out of it, just more scope, creativity etc.

Thanks.

Pedal love

Are there any particular sounds you might have in mind that you may have heard somewhere?

makaze808

I don't have a sound in mind, fuzz isn't something I have appreciated in the past so I can't pin point what I want. I have built the FF's and they have a place for me, very usable. I'm just aware there are other fuzzes developed from this sort of build. The colorsound fuzzes seem popular.
Sort of wondering what sort of fuzz for bluesy stuff, indie rock, rock, spacerock etc.

Pedal love

Quote from: makaze808 on August 23, 2009, 09:34:32 PM
Sort of wondering what sort of fuzz for bluesy stuff, indie rock, rock, spacerock etc.

Asteroid- is that space rock? j/k (Old person here.) You might try for an all around rock music fuzz-the Big Muff. It seems to be a popular sounding fuzz pedal. Bluesy might describe an Ibanez or Maxon Tube Screamer. There are so many its like saying how many soft drinks. :icon_lol:

Find sound files on the web. There are examples on Youtube as well. Do some searches first. It will save you time here.

AutoPRND21

If you're interested in supporting an independent builder like yourself, I'd consider the Euthymia ICBM[http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/euthymia-icbm-fuzz/Apr-05/7930].  It's a remake of the Big Muff that used 741 op amps for a short time in the late 70s.  A fun, nasty pedal.

tcobretti

Yeah, the next step is a tone control.  Big Muff Pi, or any of the many, many fuzzes with a BMP tone control added to them.  Another possibility is Zvex's Fuzz Factory, but many find it sorta hard to get useful tones out of.

What you might consider is building an EQ to follow or precede your Fuzz Face.  EQ shaping will totally change the character of your fuzz, and later you can build other fuzzes to try with it.

MartyMart

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=30476.0

Scroll down a bit for the "Smooth Silicon Fuzz" schematic
It's an easy build and sounds fantastic, fatter than a standard FF, I still use this a lot !! ( built in 2005 )

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Mich P

Fuzz Face (silicon,Ge)
Tonebender MKII, MKIII
Big Muff
Look Here :
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/
Mich P.

Al Heeley

Red Llama with cap mod - very nice wide range of gain
Woolly mammoth - monstrous bass fuzz!

liquids

For something completely different, try the foxx tone machine (and/or it variants).  It's unique and super fun to play, to boot.
Breadboard it!

makaze808

Thank you all. Off I go into another month of wonder :icon_biggrin:

Mark Hammer

Do not overlook the FY-2/Fuzz-rite/Orpheum family of 2-transistor fuzzes.  The Shin-Ei FY-2, without the midscoop, is a wonderful compressed fuzz that will meet all your psychedelic needs.  I also second liquids' recommendation of the Foxx Tone Machine.  My favourite octave-up fuzz, although in non-octave mode it's nothing to write home about.  A number of folks have also spoken highly of the Roland Bee-Baa.

guitargeek6298

Hofner Buzztone. I have an old Halifax Buzztone, which from what I understand is the same circuit as the Hofner, but with a couple different values. But that fuzz is absolutely the best I've heard. It has TONS of fuzz on tap, so much that if you max it out you can barely even hear guitar coming through, just fuzz-noise : ) But it also tones down very well for more of an overdrive sound, or even just a boost.

Here's a link to the schematic: http://dam.10.forumer.com/a/hofner-buzz-tone-pics-amp-schem_post631.html

Never built one though, so can't tell you what that's like.

makaze808

Thanks again.

Can you recommend a layout for the Shin whatsymabob fuzz??

Mark Hammer

No layout really needed.  You can perf this baby in an hour, start to finish.