Bypass problem - switching off cuts audio off, then it swells back in...

Started by npx, August 24, 2009, 11:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npx

I just built a Furry Sabertooth from Madbean's layout (I built another a while ago from a vero layout) and I'm having a weird problem when I bypass it.

Switching the effect on works as it should but when I switch it off, the sound cuts off completely and then swells back in...

Any suggestions of how to fix this?

(I've tried searching for other instances of this problem, but had no luck.)

Mark Hammer

I have/had that issue with the Orange Squeezer.  It can relate to the state you left a large capacitor in.

R.G.

Mark's correct - something about your switching is causing the gain setting loop to go to "do nothing" then fade back up.

I'd check bypass wiring first, then look at the voltage on the level capacitor as you switch bypass.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

npx

I was probing around looking for voltages that would change when the bypass was switched (still having the swell problem) and I got called to another room to do something... I came back a couple minutes later and for some reason the pedal is now working correctly! While I'm pleased about that, I'm confused as to why it suddenly works now without me changing anything. (Well, not intentionally at least!) I hope it doesn't become a temperamental issue with the pedal.

Did you manage to fix your Squeezer, Mark? Was it a simple case of going into another room for a couple of minutes? :D

R.G.

There's an old, old saying that applies here, I think.

If you have to choose luck or skill, pick luck.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: npx on August 25, 2009, 09:35:04 AM
Did you manage to fix your Squeezer, Mark? Was it a simple case of going into another room for a couple of minutes? :D
Simpler than that.  Just use good old-fashioned non-true-bypass SPDT switching.

npx

Quote from: R.G. on August 25, 2009, 09:38:58 AM
There's an old, old saying that applies here, I think.

If you have to choose luck or skill, pick luck.

Good point!