press and peel blue

Started by makaze808, August 25, 2009, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makaze808

WellI had it for 1 year but kept on using magazine paper as results were very good, decided to use PNP  for a diefet board and what a load of poo, 30-60% on 5 tries.

magazine paper 98% first try.

Mark Hammer

It's not what you use, it's how you use it.  Every toner transfer method requires getting used to the amount of heat to apply and how to tell when the pattern is fully adhered to the copper.

Of course, if I had to choose a method to practice with and get used to, I'd rather use magazine paper than something which cost me $2 a sheet!

makaze808

It said 375 degrees critical, thats all i concentrated on really, to expensive by far to try again.

jrod

I have had NO luck with PnP OR mag. paper!!!

Do you use a laser printer with your mag. paper? I only have a copy machine!

Thanks!

trixdropd

I love pnp blue. I can use magazine paper, but the pnp is easy to put back on if part didn't transfer, and re-iron, and get it perfect. I love it. My 2  project boards look awesome as well. i have a laser printer, brother hl1040 with ebay toner refills.

deaconque

i like the PnP.  I've read a lot of negativity about it but the only time i've had a problem is when i left some printed layouts in my schem binder for a year (i usually make about 10 boards at a time but they don't always make it onto copper right away)

SonicVI

I have 100% success with PnP. I've etched over 50 boards with it this year alone and not one was a loss.   If it doesn't work the problem is either not enough heat or you're not giving it enough time under the iron.
I set my iron to the highest heat, get the pnp stuck to the copeer by applying pressure for a minute or so. Then I cover the board with a paper towel and let the iron sit on it for five minutes or so.  You can tell when the toner has transferred because the pattern will go from from kinda cloudy gray looking on the back of the pnp to very dark.    Once the pattern is completely dark I cool the board in cool water. The pnp should peel off easily.  Touch up any traces with a sharpie if needed and etch.  After etching soak the board in acetone for a few minutes and scrub off the toner with fine steel wool.

I did these all in one day with PnP.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: jrod on August 25, 2009, 12:44:58 PM
I have had NO luck with PnP OR mag. paper!!!

Do you use a laser printer with your mag. paper? I only have a copy machine!

Thanks!
A copy machine IS a laser printer.

soggybag

Never used magazine or the glossy printer paper, but. I have used PnP many times and it works well. I've botched a few boards. I sure that happen no matter what you use. Especially in the beginning. You need to find a system that works for you. Then do it the same way every time.

sfx

Quote from: SonicVI on August 25, 2009, 07:33:10 PM
I have 100% success with PnP. I've etched over 50 boards with it this year alone and not one was a loss.   If it doesn't work the problem is either not enough heat or you're not giving it enough time under the iron.
I set my iron to the highest heat, get the pnp stuck to the copeer by applying pressure for a minute or so. Then I cover the board with a paper towel and let the iron sit on it for five minutes or so.  You can tell when the toner has transferred because the pattern will go from from kinda cloudy gray looking on the back of the pnp to very dark.    Once the pattern is completely dark I cool the board in cool water. The pnp should peel off easily.  Touch up any traces with a sharpie if needed and etch.  After etching soak the board in acetone for a few minutes and scrub off the toner with fine steel wool.

I did these all in one day with PnP.

Hey SonicVi, got a source for that white PCB material? Very nice looking stuff.