Help with switching 3 values with on-off-on DPDT

Started by blues_mang, September 22, 2009, 11:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blues_mang

Ok guys, need some help here. I've been trying for days to wrap my head around this and I keep chasing my tail, so to speak. So, what I'm attempting to do (if possible) is to switch between 3 different values using an on-off-on DPDT. The part I'm having trouble with is the fact that one side of the switch needs to switch between 3 different resistor values and the second set of poles and throws to switch between 2 different value capacitors. (I know it would be easier to just use an on-on-on, but I have many of these and figured there has to be a way to do it). My thought was combining values between the 3 positions to give the 3 final values (for example: on the resistors, I need 1k, 15K and 22K) and I know for resistors, you need them in series to add values together. On the other hand I need these values of capacitance to correspond with the resistors above: .22uf, .02uf, and .01uf and I know these have to be in parallel to add the values together. What I can't grasp is how to do this and connect to the corresponding spots on the board for these values. Can anyone help out? It's the last thing I need to finish to complete this build. Thanks.

-BB
If you ain't gots da blues in yo shoes, then you got a hole in ya soul.

BAARON

You should also think about what could be done in parallel.  Resistors in parallel get smaller.  Caps in parallel get bigger.

Put the biggest resistor/smallest cap in the "middle" position, or in otherwords, the position that's always connected to the points on your circuit board.  In the following diagram, these are R3 and C3.  Then calculate the resistors/caps you need to create the new values when they're in parallel with the other parts.  This calculator may be of use to you.  http://www.1728.com/resistrs.htm

Here's the work already done for you, or at least it's done in schematic form.  When the switch is in middle position, C1, C2, R1, and R2 are not connected, so only C3 and R3 are active.  Note that R2 is 47k, because when 22k and 47k are in parallel, they make 15k; R1 is 1.1k for a similar reason.

"up" on the switch gives you 1k/0.22µF, middle gives you 22k/0.01µF, and "down" gives you 15k/0.02µF.
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

blues_mang

BAaron,
Thanks, that worked great. I just couldn't get my head around it.
If you ain't gots da blues in yo shoes, then you got a hole in ya soul.