GGG ITS 8 on/off light not working

Started by Nerra, September 24, 2009, 07:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerra

Hi everyone

This is my second GGG ITS8 that I'm building and up to now it has gone a lot smoother than the first, although once I finished my first one it actually worked.

This one however works fine, all the switches and knobs work and it sounds great but I can't get the on/off light to work. I have done the obvious and checked the wires/solder joints and then re-wired it and nothing happened. I then went and bought a replacement LED (rated at 5v, not sure if thats correct, the store only had 5v and 9v, I knew it wasn't 9v) and it still doesn't work.

I'm not sure what to try next, could anyone give some guidance as to what it might be and what I could try in order to fix it?

Thanks Warren

petemoore

I like to take an LED, and current limiting resisitor [usually 3k3 or bigger for Red Led], and connect the resistor to the anode. Then I put that across a 9v battery +/- to test the LED circuit and verify that the resistor is connected actually to [and correctly marks] the anode lead, and it lights when the resistor is on + so I know which way around it lights.
  That's the light circuit.
  Assign the indicator circuit to otherwise un-used 3PDT switch lugs, they are independant from other switch lugs and the audio circuit.
  With the effect off, the ''assigned to LED indicator'' switch lugs should be open.
  The pole and throw break the LED circuit supply power.
  I can't clearly see, it looks like the LED's purple lead is going to a lug assignment of the bypass switch which goes to input or output jack...
  Use DMM to verify...there's nothing in the LED / switch circuit it can't check.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

BAARON

Is the LED in backwards, perhaps?  I've occasionally run into LEDs that have the wrong lead marked as positive, for some bizarre reason.
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

delaystomper

sstupid question of mine , is the common  3pdt footswitch that we all use on pedals an on/off switch or is it a on/on switch ?

BAARON

B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

Nerra

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't realise the LED had a direction so I tried to turning it around and it worked. Glad I can finally get this thing finished and off my desk.

BAARON

Yup. LED = Light Emitting Diode.  All diodes have a direction.
B. Aaron Ennis