Red Fuzz Problem?

Started by seatek63, September 25, 2009, 12:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seatek63

I just finished a Red Fuzz using the layout from GGG. It works great and sounds awesome but the volume cuts out completely when I turn the intensity control all the way down. Is this normal?

alfafalfa

No, it isn't so there much be something wrong but I haven 't got a clue .

Put it away for a while and then have another look at it with a fresh approach .

Alf

petemoore

Is this normal?
  If the shoelace fits the truck tire then yes.
  Without a schematic or other relevant reference, the question cannot be answered with a greater degree of usefulness or accuracy.
  Now I'll ask one...does the lug of the volume pot which you connect the wiper to [when fully down], does that lug [and consequently the wiper] connect to DC ground ?
Introducing 'some' resistance at ground points which are 'X' amount of resistance away from a DC reference point can allow the pot to be put in any position and still not shunt all AC [signal] to DC.
  If you have a 100k pot, try putting a 10k between the pot and ground to start with. That should go pretty low but give you some signal even if the knobs turned down all the way.
  I used to put that on knobs like that...after a couple lengthy degubbiing sessions which found the 'problem'...the knob got turnt off.
  Some effects I don't want low gain or volume and make a stop resistor: a portion of the total variable resistance made to be a fixed value.
  If that's not what you're referring to then...we can try again.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.