Alternatives to the Taiwan Blue 3PDT?

Started by Philippe, October 25, 2009, 02:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Outside of using something like a Carlings DPDT with New Millenium wiring for LEDs, are there any other manufacturers out there (preferably in the US or Japan) that manufacture 3PDT switches?

While I've had reasonably good service from the Taiwan Blue 3PDTs I have used to date, one is starting to 'borderline' crap out after relatively moderate usage (less than a year/probably less than 200-300 'clicks' at best). It still functions properly but there is a slight 'cracking' sound when it is disengaged...not a pop or anything but definitely noticeable. Being a mechanical switch I am beginning to suspect that there might be some internal metal contact breakdown due to the friction of the switch itself. If activated gently, the switch seems to work fine...a slightly more agressive stomp brings this descrepancy to attention.

There was an online article written by Mr. Keen awhile back that discussed his concerns over the gradual decline in the quality of these particular switches, citing various factors such as the general nature of the 3PDT switches themselves + questionable manufacturing/QA protocols.

Pricewise, I have no complaints regarding a Taiwanese Blue. At $6.50 to $9.00 apiece (depending on source) they're readily available & serve their purpose. What I don't particularly enjoy is having to R&R something that is relatively new...for those who putter around on cars, a similar scenario sometimes occurs when you opt for an economically priced 'aftermarket' auto part only to find your self replacing it earlier than if you had bought the genuine factory authorized component.

If the Taiwanese Blue is indeed the industry standard amongst both DIYers & boutique builders alike, so be it. I was just curious whether there are other companies who manufacture these particular switches (if anything, for the sake of comparison). Chances are, a better-made 3PDT switch is going to cost more but in the long run it might be worth it.

Taylor

I have heard various reports of certain 3PDTs being better than others. The problem is that these reports all conflict with each other, and come from people who haven't actually done extensive A vs. B comparison.

I really think that the way to go is to get away from mechanical switching altogether. I'd look into RG's and the Tone God's electronic switching articles:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/cd4053/cd4053.htm
http://www.geocities.com/thetonegod/switches/switches.html

boogietube

RG had spoken about the switch actutator that they use in visual sound pedals in another thread.  An alps as I remember. I know it's proprietary information, but I wish he'd share the info! lol!
I will tell you that I got really confused looking at all of their actuators...  That doesn't solve anything, but maybe a place to start..
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

darron

interesting thread.

some of the blue 3pdts come from different sources. right now i'm using the Taiwan model sold at smallbear. now, are these supposedly the 'electro-harmonics' ones? that's what everyone will lead me to believe.

someone i know bought a few hundred RoHS stamped ones and said that they are a better sort, so i bought some trusting his judgment and used those with no problem. he's been making pedals since the 70's and would know about which ones have the most returns. THERE WAS A DIFFERENCE. The latching on the RoHS ones needed to be 'worn in' a little on every one that i used. the click action felt a little smoother, and more expensive, whereas the small bear ones do give a hard and fast click, which i suppose you'd definitely want. small bear ones seem electronically quieter, for sure.

for example. i gave a looper pedal to a friend who was only used to the RoHS stamped switches and the pedal had a small bear one in it. he returned after a weekend of gigging and said "wow! you even managed to wear the switch in for me somehow? it's already quiet..."
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Ripthorn

If you want an alternative and price isn't a big issue, Stewart-MacDonald sells 3PDT switches, but they are pricey.  Supposedly they are the same as what are found in Fulltone pedals.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

skiraly017

The followng companies offer a 3PDT switch that is supposed to be tooled and made in a different factory than the New Sensor switches.

Cliff USA
4site Electronics
Run Run

I have gotten samples from each company. The Cliff USA switches are very consistent and I have not had any failures yet. They take heat about as well as the New Sensor switches. The 4site switch looks the same as the Cliff and New Sensor, feels solid but I have not installed it yet. The Run Run switches are very nice, have smooth action and take heat very well however there is a 1000 piece MOQ which is too bad because I think they could be a serious contender. They also make a PCB pin version as well.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

darron

I had a dream last night that Geofex opened a small DIY store with switches for just < US$3.00    there were also chrome skull knobs and other niceties.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Greg_G

Quote from: skiraly017 on October 26, 2009, 07:40:37 PM
The followng companies offer a 3PDT switch that is supposed to be tooled and made in a different factory than the New Sensor switches.

Cliff USA
4site Electronics
Run Run

I have gotten samples from each company. The Cliff USA switches are very consistent and I have not had any failures yet. They take heat about as well as the New Sensor switches. The 4site switch looks the same as the Cliff and New Sensor, feels solid but I have not installed it yet. The Run Run switches are very nice, have smooth action and take heat very well however there is a 1000 piece MOQ which is too bad because I think they could be a serious contender. They also make a PCB pin version as well.

Who's "Run Run" ?  Taiwanese company ?
I couldn't find anything with a search.

It's be nice to try one of these.. and also to see what's inside ... I've dissected a Fulltone Black 3PDT in the past, and they're essentially the same as the Blue switches.

skiraly017

Quote from: Greg_G on October 26, 2009, 08:09:59 PMWho's "Run Run" ? Taiwanese company ? I couldn't find anything with a search.

http://www.runrun.com.tw/

I can tell you that the Run Run switch body does not appear to be cast from the same mold as the other big name 3PDT's.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Greg_G

Quote from: skiraly017 on October 26, 2009, 08:26:24 PM
Quote from: Greg_G on October 26, 2009, 08:09:59 PMWho's "Run Run" ? Taiwanese company ? I couldn't find anything with a search.

http://www.runrun.com.tw/

I can tell you that the Run Run switch body does not appear to be cast from the same mold as the other big name 3PDT's.

Thanks..

No it looks like a different switch.
I'd be interested in your thoughts once you've had a good chance to check their switch out.

zachary vex

I use the Run Run switches in my Vextron series pedals.  No issues at all yet.

Greg_G

Quote from: zachary vex on October 27, 2009, 04:22:26 PM
I use the Run Run switches in my Vextron series pedals.  No issues at all yet.

That's good feedback.. Thanks.

bioroids

I have used quite a lot of the Small Bear 3PDT switches and only a few have gone wrong, so I'd say they are pretty reliable. I guess the original poster was out of luck buying those switches.

On the other hand, those Run Run switches seem worth a try. Does anyone know if they have the same form factor than the Blue's? Are they taller/shorter? And most important, are the legs the same?

Regards!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Ice-9

Looks like some interesting components at runrun. They also look like the 3PDT switches come in 2 types, standard solder lugs and pin pcb solder connections. I can't see any pricing or how to order though.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Taylor

Skiraly mentioned above that Run Run has a minimum order of 1000, so I'm guessing a minimum of $2000 to get any. Though perhaps a group buy could happen?

Arn C.

Tubesandmore.com also have the blue ones.  I ordered two of them to try them out  $6.95 each

Arn C.

aron

Well I sell them in the STORE link above.

gmr1

Quote from: Taylor on October 28, 2009, 03:30:52 PM
Skiraly mentioned above that Run Run has a minimum order of 1000, so I'm guessing a minimum of $2000 to get any. Though perhaps a group buy could happen?
When doing sourcing for the company I work for, got a quote from RunRun: 1000 switches at $2.60 a pop including freight via FedEx

Processaurus

Aron has probably had more experience than anyone here, as he beeps every switch he sells, have you ran into many duds, Aron?  I haven't had one of the New Sensor blue switches let me down yet, out of about 60 or so that I've put in different projects.

davepedals

boy this is a bit late but - i just got a shipment of 96 black 3pdt's and i also dissected one.... exactly the same as the blue taiwan sw....it's black - not blue...that's the only difference.
dave