help with connecting balanced out transformer

Started by tempus, October 31, 2009, 10:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempus

Hey all;

I've got a piezo pickup in my electric so that I can get acoustic tones as well. I'm currently sending it through my pedalboard to the PA, but I'd like to add a balanced out. Here's my schem:

Have I got the 150 ohm resistors and caps connected to the right ground, or should they be connected to the centre tap on the 150 side of the tranny, or have I just got the whole thing set up wrong? It seems to me that in the above schem, I'd be opening things up to ground loop hum and negating the use of the tranny, but I'm not sure where else to connect them.

Thanks

brett

Hi
usually, you'd want to isolate the two grounds.  The signal is coupled electro-magnetically through the transformer core, and doesn't need a common ground.
The ground on the "left" is the PA ground, and the one on the "right" is the guitar ground.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

tempus

Thanks for the reply brett.

Yes I knew that, but where would I connect the ends of the R/C network then?

Thanks

tempus

I just had a thought. Would the ground loops still be broken in the above schem since there is no DC connection between the 2 grounds?

2wm

isn't "Would the Ground Loops Still Be Broken" an old religious folk song? it should be if it isn't.

alanlan

Why do you need the extra components?

The balanced input of the mixing desk will have a lowish input impedance - that's the main reason for using the transformer isn't it? (as well as providing isolation).